48- Like an Object

Start from the beginning

Logan sat in the front row, just behind the benches of players and more specifically Coach Lucas. He was leaning back, completely at ease, a smug look on his face. I knew that look- and I knew why he was wearing it. The girls from my team, and the opposing team for that matter, kept looking over at him with interested eyes. Some just looked, but you could see the slight moving of mouths as they others glanced his way, whispering about him. 

He was so out of place in this simple high school gym. There was barely anyone in the bleachers, it was a non important home game after all. A few of our parents had shown up to cheer us on, along with a sibling or two who had been dragged with. Here and there sat a few of the girls who would be playing after us, all dressed in their warm-ups and waiting to be told they could take over the locker-room finally. 

Then there was the group of boys on the far end. It was where the boyfriends of our team always sat. They didn't come to watch the game so much as to all get together and bullshit with each other. Usually their loud laughing and talking smothered out a lot of what the couches would say. And they'd only ever come on home games; it was the shortest drive for them. 

My eyes met James before I realized what was happening. Once upon a time he'd been sitting where he was for me. I would look over and see his face in the crowd and know that after the game I'd have to put on a smile and be social for him. He'd always been happy I was on the basketball team. He'd considered it a great way to show people what he saw in me. He'd been right too, once I joined basketball I'd been accepted by his friends.

At least that was before everything that had happened with my family. After that moment suddenly people seemed to remember that when I first started school I was a quiet girl who kept to herself. They remembered how James, one of the good looking athletic boys in our grade, had somehow managed to get fixated on me. 

I never would have told anyone that he'd been stuck with me on a school project against his will, and that was the only reason he'd ever even found out I existed. Something about me taking control of our project had attracted him to me, and he'd gone and tried to kiss me. I was the first girl who had ever rejected him. 

Of course it was only because I didn't know how to kiss and didn't want to embarrass myself. But I didn't let him know that. Not then, not now and I surely never would. I liked him thinking of me as a challenge. As the one girl who was never that insanely into him. Even if he hated me now he still knew that would always be true. I didn't claim to be in love with him like all the other girls. 

James had loved that about me and before I knew it he was pursuing me. It was like a regular old high school written novel. Smart girl with only one or two friends suddenly has the jock interested in them and everyone starts to realize she exists; that was me all right. And I, just like all those silly girls in those silly stories, fell right into the cliché. 

Slowly he gained my trust and even my heart. We began dating and I was introduced to his crowd of friends. I fit in well enough, even if I never really liked it there. Things were relatively fine in the beginning. Then things slowly started to fall apart, starting with me not being willing to lose my virginity just yet. He hadn't gotten mad about it, no he was too mature for that. Instead he went and made his way though his old string of girls. 

I guess finding out my brother was kidnapped, my parents were crazy and hated me, and I was now the freak of the school was all the excuse he needed to leave. I couldn't really blame him about it either. James was always about appearances, and I would surely ruin his.