Chapter 28: The World Is Ugly

Wow I think I'm in love with Mikey's new girlfriend.

As we walked into the hotel reception I saw Mikey greet the girl he had told me about on the tour bus, and think I might have fallen in love with her. She had long black hair and thick black eyeliner, and she was dressed fully in black. She looked sultry and yet friendly, and extremely...cool. She was intimidating but I definitely wanted to be her friend. Mikey walked up to her and kissed her on the cheek, but it was obvious by his body language that he was really shy around her. I smiled to myself, remembering how shy I was around Gerard when we had first met. 

Gerard and I carried our bags to our hotel room and he sat down on the bed, still sipping on the vodka bottle that he had started on this morning. He usually got drunk before shows, and I had gotten used to this while touring with them- but he wasn't due to play tonight and he normally just drank beer rather than pure vodka.

"You wanna put that down and have a coffee?" I asked. He looked at me angrily. "Don't do that," I warned. "You and I don't fight Gerard."

"Yeah," he sighed. "I'm sorry Izzy. I thought Mikey would be with me on this but he's with his new girlfriend."

"Mikey's dealing with it the best way he knows how," I said. "I think he needs help more than you do, so you should let him cope the way he wants to cope."

"You're wise for a 21 year old," he smiled.

"Yeah," I said, rolling my eyes. "So listen to me!"

I sat down next to him and took the bottle from his hands. I tightened the lid on it and then threw it across the room.

"Gerard you can do one of two things," I said. "You can get blind drunk and forget about all of this, and then deal with it later with an incredibly bad headache, or you can sober up, get a coffee and face the world, no matter how ugly it is."

"The world is ugly," he nodded. "But at least I have you."

I leaned in close and kissed him. His breathe smelt of vodka and cigarettes but I could faintly smell his natural scent that made me feel so comfortable. He parted his lips slightly and kissed me gently. His hand rested on the back of my head and he pulled me in close. I rested my legs on top of his lap and he continued to kiss me. 

"I think no matter how much it seems like Mikey doesn't need you right now, he does," I said after we finally broke apart from kissing. "So you should be sober just in case he comes when you least expect it."

"I love you," he whispered. "I feel like I keep saying it but the words aren't enough to describe to you how much I really do love you."

"Maybe you're just drunk," I laughed.

"No," he said, even though he definitely was a little drunk. "If I didn't have you right now I'd probably have finished that vodka bottle and be lying in the gutter outside."

I kissed him once more before attempting to stand up to make him a coffee, but he pulled me on top of him. 

"Aren't you a little drunk for this?" I joked, but he insisted otherwise.

***

"You guys are late!"

Frank was knocking on our hotel room door and I wasn't sure how long he had been there for because I had been sleeping. I jumped out of bed and looked around for my clothes, which had been thrown across the hotel room. Gerard slipped on his boxers and walked to the door to open it, whilst I hid behind the bed as I was still half-naked.

"We're recording on the bus," Frank said to Gerard. "Oh god have you just been fucking?"

"Hi Frankie," I grinned from my place behind the bed, my bare shoulders proving that I was naked behind it. 

"Jesus," he said with a smirk on his face. "Hurry up and get dressed, we have work to do G!"

He shut the door and Gerard turned around to grin at me.

"He's jealous," he joked.

"Annie seems to think Frank has the hots for you," I laughed, throwing on some clothes and walking over to Gerard to tidy up his hair. He kissed my nose as I flattened down his hair.

"He does," Gerard winked. "Haven't you seen us kissing on stage?"

"Should I be worried?" I laughed. 

"Maybe," he smiled.  

Gerard's P.O.V

So. my plan to get drunk and forget about everything had been ruined by Izzy. At first she made me feel better, especially with her comforting advice, and...well sex was definitely comforting as well. But now I was sobering up and reality was hitting me like a freight train. I wanted to be drunk so I could just forget everything. But I couldn't do that to Izzy.

I got dressed and headed to the tour bus. Brian had fitted a small studio into the back of the bus so that we could tour at the same time as recording the second album, because we were eager to get it done but we also loved touring. I got onto the bus and headed into the studio to find Ray sat there with headphones on at his laptop.

"Ray's putting together our instruments onto one track," Frank said.

"I got a song I want you guys to check out," I said, handing a piece of paper from my sketchbook to Frank. "It's kind of personal but I've got the tune in my head so I was wondering if you could add some guitar to it."

"Sure," Frank said, sitting down and placing his guitar onto his lap. "Go for it."

Isabel's P.O.V

I headed onto the bus to find Gerard and sit in with their recording session. I liked to go on coffee runs for them and offer compliments, as well as enjoying the incredible music that they made. I walked into the studio door and saw Frank sat with his guitar, Ray at his laptop and Gerard sat in between the two of them. Gerard was singing a song I hadn't heard before.

Long ago 
Just like the hearse you die to get in again 
We are so far from you...

Burning on just like a match you strike to incinerate 
The lives of everyone you know 
And what's the worst you take
From every heart you break 
And like the blade you stain 
Well I've been holding on tonight

What's the worst that I can say?
Things are better if I stay 
So long and goodnight 

After the first few lines Frank had joined in with the guitar providing a backing tune. Gerard was singing with such emotion that it made me feel like crying. His voice was so much better since the band had been constantly touring, and it was filled with emotion now.

"That's fucking rad," Frank said as they finished. 

"That's all I have for now," Gerard said, his voice shaky again. "B-but let me know if you like it."

"That is rad," Ray agreed. "This could change the whole vibe of the album."

Gerard turned around and left the studio room, taking my hand and pulling me with him. He dragged me outside and leaned against the side of the bus, a tear escaping his eye.

"I don't know if I can do this," he sighed, shaking his head. "It's too painful."

"You could help so many other people who have gone through this," I said, wiping the tear from his cheek. "I believe in you, G."

"I can't do it without you," he said, taking my hand. "I know this all sounds super cheesy, but I genuinely don't think I can do it without you."

"I've told you a million times," I smiled. "I'm not going anywhere."