Chapter Thirty-seven

His eyes widened, certain that Stacey would press him further. Instead, she turned her attention back to Blanche. Daniel let out a long sigh. "I can help you," he said. "But you need to tell me everything."

Stacey was exhausted and out of options. "When I was seventeen," she began, "my dad let me fly to New York by myself so I could stay with Aunt Maureen for a few weeks. She was always sending me fashion magazines and newspaper clippings about movie stars—I loved getting mail from her. I grew up in the country, and her letters were my escape." She fidgeted with a tissue, folding and unfolding it on her lap.

"When she brought me to Willard's, I was in awe. As soon as I walked through the main doors it was like I was stepping into the best dream I had as a child." She frowned at Daniel. "Does that make any sense?"

"More than you know."

Stacey barely acknowledged his reply. Her gaze was unfocused and Daniel imagined her memory was playing on the wall, like a movie. "She talked about her friend, Blanche, and I assumed they worked together. My aunt had a lifestyle that my father didn't exactly understand or talk about, so I knew this friend was probably someone very special, a lover even. I was so nervous," she continued. "I wanted to make a good impression. She bought me a package of chocolates, and we took the grand staircase up to the first floor. She introduced me to several young clerks, then finally I remember asking about Blanche. Her eyes lit up and she took me over to a display."

Daniel winced, guessing what was coming next. Flashbacks of the night he discovered the truth about Mary, replayed in his mind.

"The beautiful mannequin was wearing one of Aunt Maureen's favourites, the Tiffany Dress. She wasn't joking! She even started talking to her while I was standing there. A few of the salesgirls were whispering and laughing. I was mortified. I ran out of the store and called my father right away."

She paused like she was waiting for him to interrupt. Daniel could see dark circles under her eyes. Soon, the tears began to flow again.

"I was so stupid," she confessed. "My father took the next flight out and had my aunt examined. He put her in a facility soon after. The store was very professional when they found out and ended her employment with a simple retirement letter. It was basic, only giving the date of her last day of work—the same day I came to the store and met Blanche."

Daniel never thought of calling Alice the night he found out about his mother. She would have put him in a facility too. Daniel was trying to deal with the hardest thing in his life, and he had no one to help him. And neither did Stacey, he realized. "I'm sorry," he said.

She rested her head against the wall of shelves. "After four long years, I forced myself to come back and visit Aunt Maureen. I was shocked when I saw her. I had no idea her mind could deteriorate her body and soul as well. I couldn't leave her again, so I transferred my college credits."

"And got a job working at Willard's," Daniel guessed. "But why bring in the dresses?"

Stacey used her tissue again. "I needed to convince Mr. Hadley to let me enter the contest. I was trying to win so I could take the mannequin out of the store when the display got moved to the Waldorf-Astoria. But Fashion Week isn't until September, and my aunt doesn't have that long."

"She's dying?" His voice rose in panic; he couldn't help but glance at Blanche.

"She keeps trying to leave the hospital and come to the store; she's afraid she's late for her shift. A few times she's fallen. She needs constant supervision. I've been getting calls from the hospital administrator at work. I've argued so many times about the care she's getting. They tell me to hire a private nurse and take her home."