Carnival

His feet carried him into the forest hesitantly as his eye scanned the forest quickly. The forest seemed to fall silent around him as he traveled deeper into the undergrowth. A tune seemed to be flowing through the air around him as he continued in. Suddenly a twig snapped behind him. As he quickly spun around he came face to face with a tall man with a dark embrace around him.

"Well, well, well what do we have here? Isn't this the girl's forest?" The Shadow King's voice was deep and seemed to flow through you.

Max stands rigidly as he faces the man. He realizes it's the King of Shadows just by the shadows that move through the air around his body.

The Shadow King's wolfish grin sets Max even further on edge.

"My boy I asked you simple questions. Are you deaf or mute? Dear boy, please don't tell me that you're afraid to talk to the big bad man?" He smirks evilly then steps closer to Max.

Max steps back automatically. "I don't wish to be rude but you're the King of Shadows that can tend to throw someone off. I'd only just heard about you this morning."

On his way to the woods with the jugglers and clowns he had learned the entire story behind the carnival. Not much was considered private here.

"Oh well, I suppose I should introduce myself. I am the voodoo king, and the most dangerous man on this earth. No one's power could ever compare to mine. The shadows fuel me in a way no simple mortal could begin to understand, for I am immortal. Never will I be faced with death, quite the opposite death fears seeing me. My boy, bow down for you are speaking to the King of Shadows!" He announces with a deep booming laugh. His voice seemed to echo off the air itself.

Max swallows quickly and tries his best not to fall to his knees. The Shadow King's voice was surrounding him and trying to pull him down to his knees. "No, I will not bow down to you." Max growls through clenched teeth. His concentration slips for a second and the King's voice fully overpowers him. He's forced to his knees with a gasp.

"Silly, sill boy you cannot fight me. You can't withstand my powers. Mortals never can but what if you weren't cursed to be a human? I could give you anything you desire. Money, fame, friends, power and yet none are my limits. Ask and receive after of course you pay a simple fee."

"Leave me alone. You have nothing I could ever want." Max whispers.

"The Shadow King, why am I not surprised?" Hypnotose asks as she steps out from behind a tree a few feet from them.

"Ah, there's my girl. Now run along the boy and I have important matters to discuss." The Shadow says with another wolfish grin.

Hypnotose moves forward quickly stepping between Max and the King. "I want you to leave, now." She whispers angrily.

"Now my dear, you and I both know that won't happen. I want you and will do whatever it takes to have you. Enslaving this," The King pauses and looks at Max with disgust, "boy is just a start. When you least expect it Hypnotose, dear, I will get you. I will win."

With a snap of his long nimble fingers the shadows surround him completely and The Shadow King vanishes. The only thing marking his presence is a small black line almost painted onto the ground.

"Why would you come here?" Hypnotose asks as she turns to face Max.

"I was looking for you. We need to start working on our routine." Max manages to say as he finally rises from his knees.

"Routine, ha, that's a good one. We aren't partners Max. You work for me. One wrong step and you will ruin my performance. Let's face it the crowd won't be focusing on you. I'm always the center of attention. All you need to do is stand there playing with fire and attempt to not burn everyone to a crisp." She snaps coolly.

"Hypnotose, what's gotten into you? Did I do something wrong because if so I'd sure love to know?" Max steps toward her and she mimics him with a step back.

"You were wrong to come after me. The woods are my safe place. In here no one can find me, no one can be put under my spell. It's just me dancing, dancing for myself. I'm not forced to try and hypnotize the crowd. Dancing for no one but myself and I love it."