Chapter 21

I stepped in and closed the door behind me. Sighing, I rested my back against the door and slid down to the ground, resting my head on my knees.

It had been 4 days since Sara's funeral. The workplace felt empty and everybody was sullen. With no one to talk to or call, I felt alone. And paranoid. I don't know why but I was getting this heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach, the one that said Run! You're not safe! But run from what? And where do I go?

Matt had been extra protective these past few days. But I had been walking on eggshells too, trying not to do or say anything to set off an argument. The truth was, I felt alone. I had no one and I needed someone's comfort. Perhaps that's what led me to Jax's door that evening.

I rang the doorbell one, then twice. But nobody answered. After about 5 minutes. I sighed in disappointment and was about to turn back when I heard Jax calling my name from down the street.

I turned around to see Jax hurrying towards me, a brown paper bag in his hands. He halted to a stop beside me and put his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. I suppressed a giggle.

"I had....run down...to the supermarket." Jax said in between breaths, pointing to the paper bag in his hand.

I nodded. He handed the bag to me and I held it for him as he fished out his keys from his back pocket. He put the key in the lock and turned it. Lo and behold, there was a cracking sound and the key broke off.

We both stared at the broken piece in his hand and the other half in the keyhole, before I burst out laughing.

"Hey! It's not funny!" Jax said, although I could clearly see a smile tugging at his lips.

"Whoever makes these keys must be fired immediately." I said, finally being able to suppress my laughter.

"Straight as shit." Jax muttered.

I sighed, "Now what?"

Jax didn't reply for a few moments. Then he reached out and put his hand on my hair. I flinched back. "Jax Grayson, do not touch my hair!" I said, only half kidding.

He held up his hands in surrender, "Okay, okay. I just needed that bobby pin."

I rolled my eyes but pulled out the pin from my hair nonetheless and gave it to him. He straightened it out and bent it at some odd angles. My eyes widened as I realized what he was doing, "You're not really going to..."

He smirked, "Watch me."

First he pried out the broken piece from the keyhole, then stuck the pin in there. He turned it left, then right, then around, working with utmost concentration, the tip of his tongue poking out from between his lips. I almost giggled at how adorable he looked.

After a few moments, there was a clicking sound and Jax stood up, looking proud. "Told ya." he smirked.

"No way. What are you, a con man?" I joked as we both stepped inside and Jax closed the door.

"Um, divinely skilled is what I prefer."

"Sure." I scoffed, "And I'm the queen of England."

Jax laughed. Taking the bag from hands, he went into the kitchen. I followed after him. Suddenly a thought struck me and before I could think better, I asked him, "Jax, if you know how to pick locks then why didn't you do it when I was locked outside my house?"

Jax stilled. His back was towards me as he was putting something away in the refrigerator. I stood there with bated breath, waiting for him to say something. After a moment, he turned around, a sullen expression on his face.