Chapter 10

I head back to camp, and fix Beau and I some breakfast.

After I eat, I wash my face off in the brooke, and brush out my hair. I glance at my reflection in the water. I don't look great, but I don't look terrible.

I need to get Ezhno out of that barn and fast. I know when I was little, there was a town somewhere close to the farm. Maybe I can gather my stuff and take it there.

I gather as much stuff as I can fit in my backpack, and start walking towards where I think town is. But I'm not sure. I'll come back for everything else later, when I find a safe place to stay.

Beau and I meander through the forest, and despite everything, I feel peaceful and happy. 

----

About an hour and a half later, I see a building. And then another. And another. I made it to town. I climb up a nearby tree, and hang my backpack in it. But first, I grab about 100 dollars.

I head into town, Beau walking alongside me. A sign says "Welcome to Oakville."

This town has changed over the past 10 years, but I recognize it.

I see a pet/tack shop, and walk inside. I head over to the equine section, and look around. I probably won't buy anything, because everything I need for Ezhno, I can steal from the barn.

"You have a horse?" a husky voice asks from behind me. I jump, startled. "I'm Carter, by the way."

I turn around and see a guy who looks about two years older than me. So he's probably 18. Let's just say, he wasn't bad to look at. But I don't have time for frivolous things like boys.

"Yes. NO!" I reply, and then sigh. "Ugh, sort of."

"How do you sort of have a horse," he questions, chuckling under his breath.

"It's complicated," I snap. "What about you?"

"I have a couple horses. I mostly ride a Tennessee walker named Chester. But I really love this Pony of the Americas I got when I was 8. He's too small for me to ride now, but I could never sell him," he replies.

"What's he look like," I suspiciously ask.

"He's black, with a white star on his forehead. His name is Charcoal."

I gasp, and take a step back. "I-- I have to go," I stutter. "It was nice to meet you."

"Hey, what's your name," he calls out as I walk away.

"Taylor," I yell, before leaving the store.

A/N Sorry for the extremely late update. I've been über busy with school, and feeling uninspired. But I'm going to start writing more. School has just been crazy. It's homecoming week and for some reason this makes the teachers think "oh yes, this is the PERFECT time to give all the major tests and quizzes. Oh and let's give them five billion homework assignments. =D YAAAY" bleh.

Author's Feedback to Past Self: Even at 12 years old, past-me, you should have known never to talk to strange men in strange places. Even if they are cute. So why did you make your main character do it? Most serial killers are nice looking! Also "You have a horse"

What a line, Carter.