17. A Question Was Asked

Arenna's Point of View

Legolas' words fell heavily in the space between us, a space which seemed to grow infinitely in the matter of seconds.

"Why?" I asked breathlessly, steading my already weak body on the stone wall behind me. Legolas seemed nervous, as if he expected the guards to throw open the doors to the throne room at any moment and drag me into it. What could they have done? It was no secret to me, or anyone that Thorin disliked elves, but then again so did most dwarves. What could he have possibly done to give cause for the imprisonment of the entire company?

"Listen to me Arenna, there is an old score between Thorin and my father. My father has tried to reason with Thorin, but the blasted dwarf is prideful and difficult." My eyes met his at this point, and my warning glance silenced him to his criticizing of Thorin.

"Arenna, my father is going to ask you for help in amending an injustice done to him by Thorin's family. If you help him, I think he is prepared to release your companions." He whispered, furtively glancing at the door, he was afraid. My eyebrows furrowed in response. This was a quarrel between two kings, this was political. The politics of men, elves and dwarves confused me. Where I was from, the futures of nations did not depend on the weight of silver and gold. I was not sure what I was stepping into; what I was dealing with.

"What is it about?" I asked as the doors to the throne room opened and a guard hailed me in.

"Arenna, just remember where your loyalties lie" Legolas whispered pleadingly as I was swept away and the doors shut heavily behind me. Legolas was right, I was loyal to him, but I was also loyal to the company, to Thorin. They were my friends, my companions. I did not know King Thranduil.

These thoughts and more where tumbling through my foggy brain as the guards lead me through a small corridor that opened into a giant hollow. The heart of the cave. The wood walkway was carved to look like a river flowing down from the stone platform on which the throne sat.

It was then that I beheld Thranduil, king of the Woodland realm, he was impressive. With his silvery hair and unnaturally blue eyes, he had an air of boredom as he sat draped over his magnificent throne. I felt as if I had been transported to the days when elves were young and all they touched was filled with grandeur. He watched, blasé and regal as I shakily walked up to his throne. His presence was intimidating, but I had to remind myself that I had a purpose, I had to free my companions. I shook myself inwardly and straightened my back. I guessed that negotiating the dwarves' freedom would involve a good bit of politics, something that I didn't quite understand. For a long while he was decidedly silent, which unnerved, as I am sure it was meant to. Finally he spoke, his voice was as cool and indifferent as his stare.

"Arenna," he said, his crystalline voice rang out into the cavern, "I am happy to welcome you into my home, given your friendship and loyalty to my family." His emphasis on the word 'loyalty' did not go unnoticed by me nor did the fact that he said 'family' rather than Legolas. I smirked, in the end it came down to quickness of both your wit and tongue, I felt a bit more at ease.

"Yes, Legolas is a close friend of mine. I thank you my Lord for showing such hospitality to me" I answered. My word choice did not go unnoticed by the King either, he returned my smirk. But before he could continue with the little song and dance of pleasantries, I decided to take the lead.

"However, I have learned that my companions have not been shown the same kindness" my voice took a sharper edge. Thranduil's smirk turned predatory.

"Yes, very unfortunate incident, I can only imagine how confused you must be" his voice held no empathy, his smirk deepened.

"There is something that I am owed by Thorin, jewels" I suppressed a snort, of course it came down to something like that, "I have offered my help to the company, and the quest if Thorin but give me what is rightfully mine, but he refuses."