{Chapter 46 : Vinny}

"I can't release that information to you."

"Why the hell not? If it was a suicide, why would it still be under investigation? It's been over a fucking month. I was told weeks ago that the details would be released. I was promised that they would be released." Vincent was hunched forward, his palms pressed atop the sheriff's desk. The air stunk like cigarettes, and he wasn't quite sure if it was the stick between the sheriff's thin, creviced lips, or his own stale aroma. His eyes grew sharp, and he huffed a low breath through his nose, enunciating slow and angry, "So why the hell did I come here for?"

"Listen kid, I don't know either." The sheriff leaned forward to challenge his iron gaze. "I just know that for some reason, this case is out of my jurisdiction," the man said, his thick brows slanting—one dipping low, one rising high, as if to question Vincent's sanity. "Now, can you leave on your own," the sheriff asked, "or should I escort you out?"

"Oh, get fucked," Vincent replied, and left, throwing the office door open to slam with a clatter behind him.

His legs took him out of the police department, and down the piazza steps, kicking dirtied ice between his feet as he sauntered on. It'd felt like ages since Kailan's "death", and he could do nothing but sit on his hands. He'd spent the weeks contacting hospitals, mortuaries, crime scene investigators and even hunting down witnesses—contacting the students who neighbored in the dorms next to Kailan's.

On the bright side, no one knew anything of Kailan Tsai. No records of a hospital visit, no recollection from EMTs or even students living in the dorm. Kailan was an anomaly. But then, Vincent still hadn't any answers, and twice now he'd left the police station empty handed. The fat hogs were far too busy sporting around their authoritative badges to do him any good.

"I figured you were here." He heard her womanly voice before he felt the pinch of acrylics nails on his arm. "Where in the hell have you been? We haven't seen you in a week. Jahni wants you back for training," Gigi said, gazing up with a plea in her eyes.

"I don't have time." Vinny ripped from her clutches and turned to leave, but he was reeled back by the sleeve of his jacket.

"Vinny, I know you're upset and I want to help you." She narrowed her brows, her cat-shaped eyes becoming all the slimmer. "This isn't healthy what you're doing. When was the last time you ate?"

"What does it matter?" he asked in annoyance, yanking his arm from her grip. "This is more important than—"

"Than eating?" Gigi scoffed, crossing her arms and looking to him with a kind of shrewdness in her brow. "You kind of have to eat to live, Vinny."

"Than training," he spat in correction.

"Vinny, are you even finding anything? Have you found anything at all to prove that Kailan's alive?"

"Why didn't they explain how he died, Gigi? Usually they rule it a drug overdose, or a hanging," he spoke quickly, silencing Gigi, who dropped her eyes to the pavement in discomfort. "Why does this suicide note sound nothing like him?" he asked, with a frantic heave of breath, "Why hadn't he done it back when he was depressed? Why did he choose now of all times, when he was happy? When we were happy." His sinuses stung, and he blinked back bloodshot eyes. He was done having this conversation. First it was April, now Gigi doubted him as well. "Just fuck off," he added solemnly and turned his back to the girl. This time, Gigi didn't stop him. She watched him go with a look of penance.

An hour later, Vincent sat in the lab of the public library, searching up each and every number on Kailan's phone. Most were of college students, names Vinny had never heard of before; then there were Kailan's parents, his pharmacy, April, Jahni, and Vinny himself, but nothing even vaguely helpful—until he fell upon one name in particular. Dr. Smith, was all the contact said.