Chapter 45: Odin

"SO YOU are the mortal woman for whom Heimdall opened the Bifrost," Odin states, his strong voice filling the room with ease. "You are the reason our laws were broken, tradition that has been carried down for millennia, gone in an instant."

Anna walks toward him, resisting the urge to fiddle with her fingers or run in the opposite direction. As she approaches the throne, she hesitates for a moment unsure of what the protocol is in front of the Asgardian king before settling with an awkward curtsey and a deep bow of her head. The throne room is massive and completely bare of life, aside from Odin, the Allfather, and herself. She shivers at the expanse of it, this enormous chamber so devoid of life and emotion, and the king sitting - larger than life - on his throne in front of her.

"Your highness," she replies, embarrassed by how small she sounds in comparison with him. "I..."

"You do not realize the consequences of your actions," the Allfather criticizes her, cutting her off with a wave of his hand. "You do not belong here, yet like a moth to the flame you come. Why?"

"I...I didn't mean to come here," Anna defends herself. "This wasn't my choice. Heimdall - he brought Loki here, not me. I just..."

Odin scoffs, "You clung to his back like a parasite."

"No! He was dying - he could still be dying," she argues. "Why does it matter if I'm here as long as Loki is safe now? I won't be here long, we'll leave, as soon as he's--"

"You shall leave," he commands. "The instant Loki awakens, you shall depart from Asgard never to return. Loki is a criminal, a murderer, and yet you sheltered him. Why? I have been told of your actions on Midgard, the role you played in the imprisonment of my son, Thor. How many have suffered due to your actions? The rest of the Avengers? Jane Foster? Who else do you intend to snare with your honey?"

She doesn't respond, choosing to break contact with Odin's one eye to stare at her feet. He stares at her, his face devoid of emotion, the experience of years of ruling a kingdom allowing him to maintain his emotions with ease.

"What are your intentions toward Loki?" Odin asks, leaning back in his throne. "Am I to sit back and watch whilst you bring about the downfall of another son?"

Anna clenches her fists, trying to contain her anger and frustration, "No! I...I thought...I didn't mean for any of that to happen. Thor and the others, I would never do anything to hurt them. Loki..."

"Regardless of how far he has fallen, it will never be far enough to be one with a human," Odin interrupts. "Even if he does possess some sort of affinity toward you, it will be easy to overcome. In all likelihood, you are nothing more than a toy - a pawn - in one of Loki's endless schemes, and I advise you to recognize your place as such. I will not wait to discover what he has planned. He is doomed to spend his fate in the dungeons of Asgard."

The manner of Odin's speaking tells Anna that he is done with her, and she watches as he stares her down, daring her to speak, to defy him. Biting her lip to hold back tears, she slowly turns and begins the long walk back to the double doors. Her mind is racing, replaying Odin's words, until finally she pauses and whirls around - rushing toward the throne.

"You're wrong," she spits out, clearly affronting the Allfather. "Your son is a good man. He took an oath to protect me, then he risked his life to save mine. If...if he is just using me, which I don't believe he is, then I don't care. I care for him, which is more than you can say."

Odin freezes, his grip on the golden scepter tightening in a way that makes Anna suddenly nervous that she's made a horrible mistake. She takes a step back as the Allfather stands, his presence towering over her both in physical stature and due to his elevated position on the throne. Slowly, he moves down the steps to the throne until he stands on even ground with Anna, less than a foot from her.

"Do not presume to know my affections toward my own son," Odin hisses, rage boiling beneath his skin.

Hesitating, Anna whispers, "If you loved him, you would not be here with me."

"It is precisely because I love him that I am here with you," he responds, his voice softer than she expected, causing Anna to stare at him in wonder. "I do not know what possessed Loki to lead the Chitauri in a crusade against Earth, and it gnaws at my soul every day that I did not see it coming. I failed him - as a king, as a father - and I feel the weight of those who died upon my conscience that I did not do more."

Odin stands in silence, while Anna is unsure of how to respond to his admission of failure toward his son. She's torn between what Loki has told her of this man and what her heart tells her after his confession. It's clear that he is flawed, yes - even as a god - but she cannot blame him for feeling some semblance of responsibility for Loki's actions. She could see it in Loki's eyes, hear it in his voice, how much he craves approval - to prove himself worthy - but it was this man who forever chained him into the shadow of Thor.

"Do you love him?" The Allfather asks, bringing his gaze to match hers. The question catches Anna by surprise, causing a wave of anxiety to bubble up in her chest. She's terrified by it, by the answer waiting to erupt from the question. They've only known each other for a few weeks, and Anna spent most of the time hating Loki for who he was and what he has done.

After her fiance's death, she wasn't certain she wanted to love again - let alone whether or not she would be able. Now, she stands before Odin, King of Asgard and Protector of the Nine Realms, talking about a man who was willing to do anything to protect her even after she betrayed him. With a gasp, the answer hits her like a firework exploding in her chest and spreading throughout her body like wildfire.

"Yes." 

Now playing: "Trouble" by Coldplay.