Chapter 14 - Two Of Hearts

Start from the beginning

"Welcome to the third round of eliminations," Melanie began, her voice crisp and cool.

"His Majesty thanks you for the creativity and hard work you've exhibited in the last challenge. Unfortunately, not all of you will make it forward to the next. Please rise when I call your name."

She began to list off names. It was hard for me to tell who was staying and who wasn't, since I hadn't seen most girls' projects. She called Shelby's name, then Skyler's. Shelby beamed when she stood. Skyler looked unsure. Melanie stopped after fifteen girls were standing. Lydia and I remained seated. Sabine did as well. She was biting her thumbnail, knuckles white.

I slumped back in my seat, realizing what was happening. Lydia shot me a confused glance. I tried not to give anything away on my face as I waited for the reveal.

"The fifteen of you are eliminated from the competition," Melanie said. I tried my best to look surprised at the news. Shelby started crying and Lydia stood up to console her. Skyler sighed deeply, looking exhausted as usual. Sabine bounced in her seat, no doubt more relieved than ever.

Melanie stood silently on the dais, waiting for the eliminated girls to say their goodbyes. I noticed she held only a handful of cards now. The rest of the deck lay on the table behind her. Once the eliminated girls had filed out of the room, she cleared her throat.

"Congratulations for making it to the fourth challenge," she said, earning enthusiastic applause from some of the girls.

"For this challenge, you will be split into groups of two at random," she held out the bundle of cards, faces down. "Please line up in front of me and pick one card, then join me on the dais. Red to the left and black to the right."

The sound of chair legs skidding across the floor filled the room as we all did as Melanie instructed. Sabine elbowed her way to the front of the line. I rolled my eyes. She had to be first at everything, didn't she? I found myself second to last, behind Lydia. At the back of the line was Faith Weston, the girl who painted the king's portrait.

Sabine wiggled her thin, black nailed fingers over the cards as if casting a spell before gingerly picking one out. She strode over to the left side of the dais. The next girl also picked red, but the third picked black. The line continued until it was Lydia's turn. She pulled out her card and flashed it to me. It was the Four of Clubs.

Now it was my turn. I glanced up at the two teams. A vacant spot remained on each one, and with two cards remaining, it could go either way.

Please don't be red. I crossed my fingers and picked my card, praying it was black. It was the Two of Hearts. I sighed and joined the red team, putting the card down on the table as I went. Lydia leaned over to give me a sympathetic glance.

Melanie turned the remaining card over and presented it to the final girl. "Well, Faith, it looks like you're the Six of Spades. Please join your group." Faith obeyed, and Melanie walked down the steps and turned around so she could face us.

"Now I'm sure you're curious about what your next challenge will be. Unfortunately, the details won't be divulged until later. All I will say is the black team will go first," she said. Everyone let out a collective groan.

Melanie smiled and put her hands up in surrender. "Don't look so down. You're the top ten out of a hundred. All of you should be proud of yourselves for making it this far. And as a reward for your dedication, each one of you will receive your own deluxe suite."

The girls broke out into excited murmurs. I didn't really see the point. I had my own room already, since Skyler was eliminated. Still, it would be nice to see what these suites looked like.

"Have your things packed and meet me in the hallway by four," Melanie said. She gave one final nod and walked out of the dining hall.

The ten of us followed her out, chattering with excitement about the rooms and the mysterious challenge. Lydia appeared at my side.

"Sorry you got stuck with You Know Who," she said.

I glanced over at Sabine, who was talking to the girl who pulled the second red card. Aria Irons I think her name was.

I shrugged. "She's been ignoring me lately." I wasn't going to get Lydia involved in the poem incident. It was best to just put that mess behind me and move on. I wasn't too worried about Sabine, though I preferred to avoid her.

"Oh," Lydia said, surprised. "That's good. So what do you think the challenge is?"

I shook my head. "No idea. You'll have to tell me after your team goes through with it."

Lydia sighed. "Well, whatever it is, good luck."

I didn't need luck in the way she thought, but I smiled anyway. "Thanks! You too."

I genuinely meant it. Lydia was beautiful, talented, and most of all kind. She befriended and encouraged me even though this is a competition and she had no reason to. If anyone deserved to win, it was her. This was another reason why I didn't want to be on the red team. Lydia would no doubt outshine me, the king would come to his senses, and send me home. Except the king hadn't exactly proven himself to be sensible with his decisions.

Still, if anyone out of these girls would become the queen, it should be Lydia. Yet when I tried to picture the finale — the king, bent on one knee, presenting her with a diamond ring — I felt a strange ache in my chest. But it didn't compare to the ache I felt when I pictured myself in her place.

[I dropped some major foreshadowing this chapter and I have to restrain myself from giving it away but I'm curious to see if you guys will figure it out. Anyway, huge thank you to everyone who's commented and voted. Your support has been amazing. <3]