Chapter Ten

Rosemary was more than worried now. She was terrified. The last time she saw Davy, he was uncomfortable and a little shady. Every time she arrived at the park, it would be deserted and lonely. She considered calling him, but there was the likely possibility of Mr. Jones answering the phone instead.

"Maybe his dad found out," Carol said thoughtfully when Rosemary confided her worries to her.

"Maybe, but I feel like he would've told me or sent some sort of message to let me know," Rosemary groaned. "I know it's something else."

"How long has it been since you last saw him?" Carol questioned.

"I don't know, a few days?" Rosemary shrugged.

"I... don't know, Rose," Carol said apologetically.

"Well, I'm going back to the park today," Rosemary decided.

"Again?"

"Hey, it never hurts to try."

Rosemary didn't wait for Carol's response, although Carol didn't even know what to say. Rosemary pulled on her worn-out black boots and raced outside after she bade Carol a hasty goodbye.

It never took long to walk to the park. But, even though she was practically sprinting, Rosemary felt like it took hours to get there. It was a warm day. The wind was warm, the birds were chirping their warm tweets, the sun projected warmth off it. But Rosemary felt cold with worry, and she didn't know why.

That is, until she finally reached the park.

Rosemary froze in her tracks and stared, her mouth dangling half open. Her cheeks quickly went from rosy-pink to chalk-white. She felt as though someone had locked their fingers around her throat and tightened, enabling her to make any sort of sound. She couldn't speak. She couldn't move. All she could do was stare and watch.

Watch Davy, who she was so sure would never hurt her in any way possible, lip-locking another girl.

"D-Davy," Rosemary choked out, but she was unheard. She wondered whether she said this so quietly that no one was able to hear her, or if she just imagined herself saying this. Either way, she received no response.

Davy pulled away from the girl's lips, guilt etched upon his face.

"Hard to get?" the girl giggled.

"No," Davy swallowed. "Look, I-I can't do this."

"Why, Davy?" Rosemary finally spoke up once she found her voice. Davy and the girl nearly jumped out of their skins and whirled around. Davy's eyes widened. "Were you afraid I'd catch you? Huh?"

"Rosy!" he gasped.

"Oh no, don't let me interrupt," Rosemary spat. "Please continue. I don't want to spoil your moment."

Sending Davy a hurt look and the girl a dirty one, she turned her back on them and stalked away. She quickened her pace when she heard a pair of footsteps following behind her.

"Rosy, hang on a moment!" Davy's voice begged.

Rosemary whipped back around, her cheeks sopping wet from her tears.