March 1919

1919, New Orleans.

"We're going to the opera tonight, love. Get a nice dress on." Klaus smiles widely at me and I smile back.

"Any color preference?"

"Hmm, I do love you in red." He kisses me. "Red. I'm going to go compel you something new to wear. I'll see you later."

I go for a stroll, leaving a note on the counter, so we don't have a repeat of 1724 when I "went missing".

"Violetta Santoro-Mikaelson?"

"Who are you?" I furrow my eyebrows, looking at the old man.

"You are then. The woman who loves that abomination of a man."

"My husband, yes. I love him. You must be Mikael. Mikael Mikaelson. The psychopathic father of my family."

"They are not your family. They are my family, little girl."

"Whatever you say." I say, and sprint away, to the house where he can't get in without permission from one of the siblings. I was thankful that I had fed before leaving, because I was faster than the old man, which meant he wouldn't be able to find the house.

"You look like you saw a ghost."

"I think I saw your father." I say, and Elijah's eyebrows raise.

"I doubt it."

"Whatever you say, Elijah, but I'm telling Klaus when he gets home."

"I look forward to encountering him." Klaus smirks after I tell him.

"Nik, he- He could kill you." I say, tears threatening to drip out of my eyes.

"I won't let him have the pleasure." He says, and kisses my forehead.

Later that night we go to the opera. I'm wearing a beautiful red dress that Nik compelled for me, and Rebekah helped me style my hair and did my makeup for me.

"You look ravishing, my love." Klaus tells me and I thank him and leave a kiss on his cheek.

"Be safe tonight, please? I don't know what would happen to me if you were gone."

"I'll never be gone, Rose. I'll always come back to you." He almost never used the nickname, just during intimate moments like this, to reassure me.

"I love you." I smile.

"I love you too." He smiles and takes my hand, and we wait for Elijah and Rebekah.

Rebekah, Nik and I sit in a nice booth, and the tickets were given to us by someone that Klaus knows. Elijah was god knows where, and Rebekah excused herself for a moment. Nik holds my hand as we wait for the curtain to lift, and Mikael appears out of nowhere and presses The White Oak stake to Nik's back. Mikael keeps taunting him with the word "father". Saying that that his real father would be just as embarrassed before telling him his plan. Klaus demands Mikael just kill him, he is proud of his achievements in creating the city, Mikael taunts death will come, however afterwards he will stay in New Orleans. The curtain lifts and we see the woman who gave Klaus the tickets, staked and dead, and Marcellus staked to a cross, barely conscious. Klaus and I sprint to Marcel, trying to save him, but we're thwarted by Mikael for what feels like the millionth time in our long lives. Mikael stabs Rebekah when she tries to save Marcel, and then feeds on him. Elijah appears, insisting that we leave, because no matter how hard we try, we will not be able to save Marcellus. I pick up Rebekah and feed her my blood, healing her, all while she was crying that it was her fault. Klaus insists that it is in fact his fault, while we watch the burning down opera house.

"I thought we had found a home." Nik whispers, barely audible, and tears well in my eyes as I look at him.

"You must go. I'll hold off Mikael." Elijah says, and after a moment, Klaus takes Rebekah and I by the hand, and we leave New Orleans.

/

in celebration of 800 reads i'm double updating we are so close to being in present time i cAN'T WAIT