Chapter 18

"Focus and concentration," my father was saying as he paced in front of the students, "is essential when using magic. One little distraction can cause a drastic consequence depending on the spell you are using. That is why it is so necessary for you to learn how to control your minds, how to focus your energy, and how to block out outside forces from entering your thoughts," he continued.

We were currently sitting outside on the frost-covered grass, shivering from the cold of the early-December air. My father seemed unnerved by the cold; it was almost as if he were immune to it.

Today was the first day of our "out of class classes" that was being taught by my father. Professors Little, Mika and Coach Pulitz were standing behind him, their faces pale from the chill of the weather. I didn't understand why we had to be outside. We could have very well done this indoors. I internally rolled my eyes at my father. Leave it to him to make things more difficult than they needed to be.

"Professor Mika has told me that you all have been very curious as to how you know how you have tapped into your energy and how you know whether or not you are focused. I understand your questions and curiousity, but you must understand that those phenomena are different for each and every witch and wizard. I cannot describe for you what you will feel when you've centered your magical energy within you because it is different for me that it is for you. But I can tell you that if you are concenrated enough, you will know yourselves. That is why we have this class so that you can practice focusing your minds," my father explained.

"Also, I know some of you questioned how long the process takes. Initially, it takes a long while to train your mind. But once you have practiced enough and you are using a spell, it will be quick and almost reflexive to shut out everything else around you. It just takes a little practice," he added.

"That being said, let's begin. I want you all to spread out. Find your own little niche and sit there. Close your eyes and then just try to shut everything else out of your mind. Try focusing on things at a time. If you choose to sit in the woods, try separating the sounds of the trees from the animals. Then, if you can, just listen to the sounds of the animals. Then try to focus on one part of wood on a particular group of animals. And then lastly, and this will be the hardest step, try concentrating on a single animal within that group. If you can do that, you are well on your way to focusing your mind. If not, don't worry. This process takes time. I don't expect you to become completely focused in one day," he instructed.

"So let's split up. Choose wherever you'd like to go on campus, as long as it is outdoors. Professors Mika, Little, Pulitz and I will be making the rounds on campus to see how you are doing. After an hour, you will hear a shrill whistle that signals the end of the class. All right? Any questions? No? Ok. Get going then," he said. We all stood up, groaning that we had to continue to stay outdoors.

I knew exactly where I wanted to go. One day, while exploring the forest in the beginning of the semester when I had no friends, I came across this beautiful lake a few ways down from the start of the forest. I was going to go there and sit on one of the large rocks that surrounded the lake. I trekked through the forest and found other people walking in there, as well. I kept to myself and made my way to the lake.

After about ten minutes of walking and fighting through the frost-covered tree branches, I found it. I let out a breath of relief, making a small cloud in front of my face. Then I climbed on top of one of the smoother rocks and sat down comfortably. I looked around me at the beauty of the scene.

The trees were mostly dead now, their leaves gone and crumpled, hidden beneath the frost of the forest floor. The thin branches only remained. They looked blackened and dark from the cold of the air. The ground crunched with the frost, which was a teaser for the snow that was due to fall soon. In the summer, around the lake were bright yellow and orange flowers coming out from leaves and plants that grew on the rocks. Now, those same flowers were dried up and blackened, looking dead like everything else. And in the summer, the water was a reflective light blue colour, mimicking the clear blue of the sky. Now, however, it was a dark grey colour, stony like the rocks that surrounded it; steely like the chill of the air. In a way, the sight looked hauntingly beautiful. And that's what I loved about it.