Chapter Six

"Dad?" You called out through the house, flicking on the light. The room became easier to see but your dad didn't respond. Biting your lip you made your way to his room. Maybe he's just asleep...

"Dad?" You tried again as you peeked into his room and flicked on the lights. There was a note on his bed, written in sloppy handwriting. Picking up the note, you tried to make out the words.

(Y/n).
I'm going out to the local bar to reason with your mother. Don't worry about me. I'll be home soon.

Dad. 4:44

4:44? You looked down at the time to see that it was 7:02. Sighing in relief, you figured he was safe and made your way to your room. Again, you flicked on the lights and dropped your backpack in it's usual corner. With a quick glance, you changed into more comfortable clothing and sat down on your bed, feeling Sans pry into your head again.

You wish you heard him actually sing but Pap was just too loud...honestly, you couldn't hear anything but Pap in that car. With a yawn you plopped into your bed, staring at the ceiling.

Why so tired already, (y/n). You did literally nothing today.

You yawned again, feeling sleep start to nip at you. Fighting to keep yourself awake, you tried to sit up again but soon gave way to the darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hello, (y/n)." The voice was there again. Still nothing but darkness surrounded you.

"W-who are you?" You asked. "And how do you know me?"

Confusion started to flood within you as you slowly heard that familiar voice...with the rasp and the constant pitch changes.

"Calm down. There's nothing to be afraid of." It said, and as if on cue, your eyes could see the surroundings. The first thing you saw was a rather tall....skeleton? It's left eye was open with a rather large crack falling straight down across the face. It's right eye was partially opened with a similar crack spreading upwards. It wore a long, black cloak, exposing only the hands and head of this creature.

"Seriously...who are you?" You stuttered, finding that you could move around. The creature grinned a weak smile.

"My name is Gaster, the former scientist of the Underground." He said and teleported to the screen behind him.

"Why did you bring me here?" You asked him, still confused on why he would bring anyone like you here. He just chuckled.

"You, (y/n), are special. You have the determination to do something for the monsters and, you also have a gift."

"A gift?" You started to chuckle yourself. "If anything, I'm a mess right now, and I'm hardly gifted."

"Is that so?" He turned back to look at you, smiling a bit. "Allow me to express my point."

Suddenly, you saw a chair being flung towards you at an unbelievable speed. It came in towards your right side, filling you with shock. Time began slow for a second as your eye flared the familiar (f/c) aura. Your right hand was also surrounded in the same aura as you held it out to stop the incoming object. It stopped midair, now under your free control.

"This is a special gift." Gaster said calmly as you dropped the chair, causing it to break a leg. Your eye died down and your hand stopped glowing.

"Oh...you know about that...the 'defect'." You muttered, annoyed. If anything, you wanted to be normal...not this special... "I hardly know how to use it. What use will I be to you?"

"I don't need your help." He paused and looked down at you. "All of the monsters do."

"Why?"

"The fate of humanity and monsters is in grave danger." He muttered.

"Why me...when you have Frisk?" You asked, still not able to let the information sink in. It was too much to even feel shock. "She was able to bring all the monsters to the surface and create peace for them...for the time being. Why would you want a nobody, like myself, to help?"

"Don't you care?"

"Of course. But I don't believe that having me with this kind of responsibility will help anyone."

"You have a gift. You have the determination to help all monsters. You also have the position in the FMC to get a point across." Gaster said and started to boot up his computer thing. It started to charge up, lighting up the room that you guys were in. You saw that it looked like a science lab room, with two huge, broken glass cylinders in the middle.

"Oh...the Free Debate...." You grumbled and turned to the cylinders. "What are those for?" You asked pointing out the two glass capsules. You saw a flicker of sadness within Gaster's eyes.

"They're useless now..."

"Why do you keep them?"

"They have meaning. Now, (y/n). That's not important." Gaster grumbled and turned to you. "I- the monsters need you to help. Frisk can only do so much...being as young as she is and after what she did in the underground. She may not be able to take on the task at hand."

You felt the responsibility start to fall into you. You knew from the start that you would need to help...but it all seemed so ridiculous.

"Okay..." You mumbled, trying to find your voice. "Fine. What do I need to do?"

Gaster smiled and teleported to a nearby lab table, and came back to you.

"I'm happy you agreed. But, you can't do anything yet. We need you to get you trained for your...'defect'." He said and handed you a small bone. "This is what you'll start to train with tomorrow. Be familiar with it. It may come in handy later on...fair well, (y/n). Please, stay safe."

"Wait! What?!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And you slipped away from sleep.