"So about the dent?" Quinn asked, breaking the silence.

"I backed into a mailbox. Let me know what I owe you for the damages." Dana turned to leave, not wanting to expound any further on the subject, but Quinn reached out and grabbed her arm, stopping her from going.

She closed her eyes at the shock of the warmth of his hand on her arm. She felt as if her stomach had just dropped to her toes.

"How are you getting back home?"

Of course, Dana, did you think that he was stopping you to beg you not to go? Her heart cracked a little.  All of the careful mending she had done coming undone.

"I'll get the bus."

"I'll take you." His voice sounded gruff.

"Its fine Quinn, the bus will do."

"Stop arguing with me; you don't live that far."

He knew where she lived?

Quinn caught the question in her look because he smiled. "Caleb told me just in case."

Dana couldn't do more than nod at this.

He held out his hand for her to precede him, and the walk back to the truck was silent. To his credit, he didn't even look at the bumper as he moved around the truck to get into the driver's side.

"I'm serious if you tell me how much the repair is I will pay for the damage."

"Don't worry about it Dana; it won't break me."

"It won't break me either." She snapped.  How could he be so passive and calm? Her heart was about to explode out of her chest just sitting next to him. His presence filled the cab of the truck, and she could smell his aftershave. It was doing funny things to her stomach. Make conversation Dana. Her mind screamed; act like him, like you don't care.

"I enjoyed watching you and Caleb roping this afternoon." Real smooth Dana that's it tell him you still enjoy watching him.

"Thanks, it's been a while since I've competed, it was fun to get back into the arena."

"Well, I'm glad I got the chance to see you two in action."

He looked over at her, giving her his lopsided grin, and she felt her heart jerk. She turned to look out the window trying to pretend that he wasn't so close. It would be so easy to reach out and run her hand through his hair.

"So you're working now?" This time he tried to break the tension with light conversation.

"Yes, at the school, it keeps me busy."

"You're going to school. I would think that would keep you busy enough." Quinn's voice dripped with disapproval.

Dana's turned to look at him, and she couldn't help the smirk as it crossed her face.

"You had your chance to have a say, Quinn." She should feel better at being able to throw it back at him, but all she felt was sadness that he had not chosen to have that say. She turned to look out the window as the silence lengthened. She was not about to justify her actions to him. The rest of the short drive was in silence as he pulled into her driveway. He did look over at the mailbox.

"Well, at least the mailbox survived."

Dana couldn't help the small smile that escaped.

As she jumped out of the truck Ace came hopping towards her, not putting any weight on his front paw. She knelt down to take the paw in her hand, and he yelped, pulling it away and licking her hand. Someone at the party must have let him out, or he snuck out when they were leaving. Usually, it wasn't a problem he was too old to wander, so he always kept to the yard. Quinn must have heard the yelp because he cut the engine and moved around to her side to see what was wrong.