10

Upon waking up, he discovered he wasn't chained through the fog of his brain.

He tried to remember what he had done under the brainwashing protocol, but all he could hear was her voice saying those words.

Why had he gotten attached? He knew the consequences, but couldn't resist.

It was the way she smiled at him. The way her eyebrows crinkled when she was in thought. All her little traits attracted him like a magnet.

Yet she was with Hydra.

The sound of his cell door opening made him look up with hatred in his eyes as he met the gaze of Crossbones.

"You should be saving that look for your girl, mate." He smiled as two guards came in to handcuff him.

Knowing it was useless to resist, he let them take him down the unfamiliar corridors. This base was new.

The sound of their footsteps echoed in the empty halls as they trekked onwards.

Only slowing down when they neared a huge metal door where she was waiting.

Her usual attire was traded from casual to lethal. She wore combat boots, a leather belt with a holster and a black leather trenchcoat that went to her knees. Her hair cascaded down her back as she turned her head towards them. Her eyes were red from crying.

"Crossbones." She greeted stiffly, but she looked at him.

The Winter Soldier showed no emotion and after a moment her gaze flitted to Crossbones who gestured to the door. "Is he in there?"

"Of course."

The doors opened by the push of a button, and he was led through to a room filled with dim lighting, casting shadows in the corners.

No one was there.

The door slammed behind them with it locking into place. Crossbones jumped but then stilled as a door opened in the wall in front of them.

"You two." Clarissa told the guards. "Stay here."

She then led the two men forward into another room filled with computers. A man stood silhouetted against the harsh blue light, and until he turned did he recognize the man from the Hydra base he was taken prisoner in World War II.

"So you're the man my daughter fell in love with." His accent was German and mocking as he surveyed them.

He noted that when the Red Skull's cold eyes met his daughters, she looked away.

Then the gaze met his own, and he stared back unflinching.

The man strode forward, black trenchcoat flaring out slightly. "I didn't think it possible when I returned that the Winter Soldier was formally Captain America's childhood friend. Look how far you've fallen."

The Winter Soldier lunged forward, but Crossbones was quick to restrain him. The demon watched in amusement.

"It's a shame that I hear rebellion is second nature to you here in Hydra. I see plenty of potential in you. I see the fire that sparks your soul. If only you had let it consume you."

He turned to Clarissa who stood stiffly, not speaking as she watched the scene in front of her.

"You my daughter have a flame as well. But if you use it for the wrong reasons, I won't hesitate to snuff it out. Understood?"

"Y- yes father."

"Good. Crossbones!"

"Yes, sir?"

"Take him to his cell. The reprogramming will begin tomorrow."

Now he struggled, resistant to the fact of being erased again. But Crossbones was able to keep him in control as he was led away. The sound of the devil's twisted laughter echoing behind them.