Chapter 9

Thirteen years had changed Max both physicallyand mentally. Physically Max was no longer the weak little peasant boy thathated how he looked and hid under the table at his mother's work to read. Hewas now a strong young man and as time went by Max grew fond of his hair andhis large emerald green eyes that looked so much like his mother's. Max was nolonger worried about having to work at the Mole Barry Tavern; for he found ajob as a town blacksmith at the young age of just fourteen. It was the closest jobMax could ever find to being a knight and, although the work was hard, it madehim happy and helped him grow from a gangly teenager –that couldn't speak to astranger without stuttering- to a fine young man that could talk to anyone whocrossed his path. 

Although Max had changed so much in the last thirteen years both mentally and physically, his heart did not. He still loved to read, and was still in love with the little boy named Alex that burrowed his way into Max's heart that one unexpected evening thirteen years ago. Max knew Alex was a prince and –with his father's health- the soon to be king. He knew there was no chance of him ever being with the one person he ever loved (even if he known him for a short time). Although his minded knew this, his heart, in the last thirteen years that it's been since there meeting, hadn't seem to have gotten the message. For it still ached to be with his prince once more.

Being one of the only four blacksmiths, Max only got one day off a week, two if the planets aliened at just the right moment every blue moon. Today was one of those days and so he chose to spend it reading. Reading at his usual table with a crack in the wood top at Mole Barry Tavern were his mother still worked.