01

"Charlotte! We're going to be late!" Steve yells throughout our shared apartment. 

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" I yell back, slipping on my shoes. 

"Where exactly are we going?" I ask my older brother as we walk out of our apartment.

He hesitates for a moment before he says, "We're going to see a movie." 

I look at him skeptically before saying, "No we're not." Steve turns and smiles at me. 

"Yes we are." he lies. 

"Come on Steve. Where are we going?" 

Steve looks at the ground as we walk before mumbling, "Fine. I'm going to enlist again." 

I gasp and stop walking. 

"Steve!" I exclaim. 

"Men are laying down their lives, Char! I've gotta go help." he tells me for the millionth time.

"No Steve. You'll get hurt." I tell him. 

"Why do you and Bucky keep saying that?" he says, tossing his head back and exhaling loudly. 

"Maybe because we know you better than you know yourself. Who always comes to your rescue whenever you get in a fight with someone bigger than you?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Bucky." Steve mumbles quietly. 

"And who always comes to your rescue when you have an asthma fit and left your inhaler at home?" 

"You." 

"And who's been trying to keep you from shipping yourself overseas?"

"You and Bucky." Steve mutters again. 

"Exactly. Enlisting is just not for you Steve, not in your condition." I sigh. He looks at me before shaking his head. 

"Just let me try one more time!" he persists. 

"Steve, you know what'll happen. And besides, what would I do if you actually got drafted? Now that Mom's gone too, I won't have anyone!" I exclaim, tears forming in the corners of my eyes. 

"You'd have Bucky." Steve mumbles, moving closer to me.

"Do you not remember where he is right now? He's training for the damn war!" I almost yell. 

"I'm sorry Charlotte." Steve whispers before wrapping his tiny arms around my waist and resting his head against my shoulder. I hug him back and lean down to bury my face into his shoulder. 

"I miss her." I whisper, a few tears escaping. 

"I know, me too." Steve responds sadly, rubbing my back. We stand like this for another moment or so before I push myself away from him and wipe my tears. 

"Are you okay?" he asks me. I nod my head and inhale. Steve looks at me for a moment before continuing to walk down the street, forcing me to follow him. I quickly catch up to him and we walk in silence until we reach the nearest enlistment center.

"Steve..." I trail off, looking down at him. 

"I'm sorry Char." he says before turning and walking inside, leaving me standing outside, dumbfounded. 

----

As I stand outside the door of my best friend's apartment, I'm beyond mad. 

"Hello?" she says, opening the door. 

"Oh, it's just you Charlotte." she smiles once she recognizes me. 

"Can I come in?" I ask. She looks me up and down before nodding and opening the door further.