Did they even realise those?

Unable to understand their logic, she submitted to the tug. A full frown broke on her face behind her veil.

Unlike those she was surrounded with, Eshaal for one, felt contentment and bliss whenever the skies poured. There was a deep-rooted sense of satisfaction every time the rain clouds arrived. Never mind the mild discomfort it was accompanied with, she always welcomed the rain. For her, it meant so much more than what she could put into words.

Not only were the torrential cyclonic downpours a characteristic of the city she loved so much; but in a country like India, its arrival meant solutions to a lot of economical and geographical problems—solutions to so many things people needed but, at the same time, didn’t pay much heed.

Ground water level, perennial reservoirs, domestic water supply, farmers, seasonal crops—they were all catered to by this rain. These downpours undoubtedly brought them relief. They brought with them abundant water. It has been agreed that sometimes the people of authority did nothing to save excess water for later use leading for it to overflow or stagnate year after year; but the truth was that without these showers, people would be under a lot pressure. Without these showers, life would become very difficult. It would come to a standstill if not ceased immediately.

Her train of thoughts kept her occupied. Contently, she ruminated them. So immersed as she was in it that she failed to notice a lanky boy who had been trying to squeeze through the vehicles. He whizzed across her through a narrow gap between Eshaal’s Scooty and a car without the slightest hint; and by doing so, managed to stir a dirty puddle on the road. Eshaal had just about enough time to duck out of the way; but the disturbed water found escape from a pothole, splattering on her brand new Scooty and leaving wet trails behind. Scowling after that boy who hadn’t even bothered to apologise, she scrutinized her vehicle, making up her mind to have it washed as soon she returned home.

Fifteen minutes later, when Eshaal still found herself surrounded by vehicles, restlessness began to seep into her. She contemplated calling her brother for help; and yet, no sooner had the thought crossed her mind, she immediately threw it out. Calling her brother for help meant never-ending hours of teasing, pressing his shirts, and doing his chores. No, it was way better to wait until the roads got cleared and then reach home compared to asking her brother for a favour, then repaying him for it.

Her tongue chanted the attributes of her Lord while her mind contemplated over them. She let her gaze wander again. It settled on a group of teenagers seated at the bus stop this time. They were giggling and enjoying themselves thoroughly despite the gloomy weather. Almost involuntarily, a smile made its way to her face, taking her through a portal to her childhood days—carefree life, laughter, and smiles. A truckload of them.

Eshaal recollected her teenage years. It was a phase when everyone had ignored her due to her persisting headcover and loose clothes. Not many she had known at the time understood her way of viewing the world, and most of whom she knew didn’t even appreciate it. For a major part of her teens, solitude had been her constant companion; but she hadn’t minded it in the least. She had kept herself occupied with gaining more knowledge in all the fields she could. She had equipped herself with all the skills essential for living. She had indulged in the wonderful family her Rabb granted her. The sensible part of her always reminded her that it was better to stay alone than be in the company of the bad. She had managed to pacify herself that she was better off alone.

During her college days, however, she had met her troublesome trios; and her world had lit up in the literal sense. She couldn’t be happier. Eshaal still remembered how awkward their first conversation had been—how they looked around, stuttered, spoke with uncertainty, shifted from one foot to another, and glanced at all other places except for each other’s faces. A giggle escaped her mouth as she relived their first encounter. Who would have thought that they were going to be the best of friends? Definitely not her.