The Boulder

Everyone sighs in relief at my decision.  

"I'm going to sleep!" The twins say at the same time and trudge out of the kitchen. Creepy.  

"Same here." One of the other boy's say and leave. 

"We'll do a formal introduction in the morning." The Alpha says in a sleepy tone. The girl follows him out.  

That leaves me and Nick.  

Wonderful.  

He heaves out a sigh and grabs a cookie from a large blue jar. He shoves it into his mouth. Someone's obviously still hungry. 

"You're not going to offer me any?" I ask.  

He pulls the cookie out of his mouth. It's wet from his spit and I'm sure he thinks I'll be appalled or something. But I'm not that kind of girl.  

I take the damp cookie and put it in my mouth, emphasizing my chewing. His eyes widen in surprise.  

"Thanks." I say through a mouthful of cookie crumbs. "Got any more food?"  

He's still in a state of shock. I roll my eyes and move past him to get to the fridge. I'm a part of this pack now, correct? That also means food privledges, right?  

I grab the first thing I see. A jar of pickles. I quickly open the jar and start my feast. I've finished the whole jar in less than five minutes and I'm still starving. Nick watches me the whole time but I barely notice or care. That's usually what happens when I get hungry. And it's been so freaking long since I had a full meal. I drink the pickle juice, too, before moving on. I eat all their deli meat which consists of turkey and chicken. Then I devour the sour dough bread, which is followed by a small jar of peanut butter. I go crazy when I see a can of Coca Cola and I guzzle it down. Nick doesn't say a word, but I can see his eye's drooping as I pop a watermelon slice in my mouth. They have fruit that's already been cut up and placed in a container in the fridge. How awesome is that?

"Nick?" It's the first time I say his name and he jolts awake.  

He eyes the empty packages of food around me. "That's one hell of an appetite you got there." 

Does he not like girls who eat? I'm not exactly full, but I don't want to keep him up all night. So I lie and tell him I'm tired.  

I can see the relief on his face. I'm guessing he hasn't come to the same realization that I've come to, yet.  

Where am I going to sleep? As if he hears my thoughts, a conflicted expression passes onto his face.  

Then he starts to leave the kitchen. I silently follow. The house is dark and I can't see much other than the faint outlines of furniture. Nick takes me up a flight of stairs and then we're going down a carpeted hall. He finally stops at door that's second to last at the end of the hallway. Opening the door, he goes in. I follow and close the door behind me. The room is a dark mess. It's darker in here than it is in the kitchen. The window is covered by thick curtains. The walls are painted a deep color I cannot yet decipher.  

Arms wrap around my waist and I'm suddenly being lift into the air. Then they're gone and I fall back onto a bed. The bed is so soft and my back feels at peace. You never realize how amazing beds are until you don't have one.  

The bed dips beside me and I feel Nick's presence. Without warning, he pulls me to his side and our bodies are flush against one another.

This can't be real. My body is buzzing with electricity. My mind is in a foggy haze. My wolf is in total bliss. I'm one hundred percent sure my heart has stopped beating.  

His front is against my back and his warm breath fans across my neck. His arms encircle me tightly and I relish his touch.  

But this couldn't be real. This shouldn't be real. I just met this guy. How can an insane voice in my head already say she loves him?  

Nick seems pretty bold. He didn't even offer to sleep on the floor or anything. He just hopped into this bed and took me with him.

Maybe he just yearned to feel our touch and could not control himself. He is our mate.

Man. My wolf really knows how to side against me.

I'm glad I chose to wear my pajama pants and sweater. At least I'm comfy. Imagine if I wore jeans. I shudder at the thought. Nick pulls me impossibly closer. He's clinging to me like I'm his last and only lifeline.

I should be pleased by this. But I'm not. Only god knows if I can even trust him. I slightly twist my head to see that he's already fast asleep. With some struggle, I push myself away from his grip even though I felt safe in his arms. I fit just perfectly against him, too.  

But the truth is, I'm scared. I don't trust easily and neither did my mom. Actually, scratch that. My mom did trust easily. Especially when it came to her mate.  

I don't know if I can do that, though. I watch Nick's sleeping figure. Then I leave his room.

••°°••••°°°•••••••••••••°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°•••

I slip out the back door of the kitchen. Taking a quick glance, I dart into the forest and strip. Shifting into my wolf, I silently curse myself. I left my panda bag inside the pack house.  

I wasn't trying to escape. I just needed to get away and calm myself. So I took a run. The moonlight shone fiercely against the dark of the forest. Not even two minutes into my run, I smelled something odd and familiar. I followed the scent for a long time until I finally came to a small clearing, the size of a small shed. A large boulder was right in the middle. 

I finally determined the smell. It was blood. Right ontop of the boulder was a bloody body. It didn't exactly look like a body, though. Guts and limbs were strewn about and there was so much blood. Hesitantly, I crept forward as the scent of something else hit my nose. I stopped right in front of the boulder and took a huge whiff of the air. 

And instantly regretted it. 

I stood, frozen, and absolutely shocked. This was no random body. This was my mother's body. Someone had taken her out of her grave and mutilated her. How dare someone do this to her? Fresh tears pricked my wolf eyes, but I blinked them away. Now was not the time to cry. 

But the tears seemed to pour out anyway. They came like Niagara Falls and there was nothing I coudl do to stop it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FAN, VOTE, COMMENT!

Well, what do you think? Who did that to her mom? What does Nick think of Iris? The next update will be better! :) 

Thanks for reading!!! ♥