Beautiful Friendship

I had barely settled back into the Bell Jar when my door opened, I looked up over my book to see Nick and rolled my eyes, “What do you want?” I questioned annoyed. Nick cocked his head to the side slightly as if trying to determine if he had heard me correctly.

“Lose the attitude Cecelia, right now,” he instructed before entering my room and taking a seat on the bed next to me. I returned my attentions to my book and attempted to ignore him before he removed the book from my hands and set it on my bedside table. “We need to talk.” I groaned internally, those words were never good.

“I have a lot of reading to do…” I said stating my case as to why I had no time to talk.

“I know you are upset with me,” he said stating the obvious. “I’m sorry that the debate this morning caused you to be teased; I honestly picked that topic because it’s so controversial not because I wanted to embarrass you. I thought you handled yourself extremely well, especially considering the curve balls you were thrown by Josh.”

“Yea, well, apology not accepted.” I seethed attempting to stand up from the bed and walk out before Nick grabbed my hand pulling me back to sit.

“You have been EXTREMELY disrespectful and mouthy today and it needs to stop.” Nick instructed his tone sharp.

“I’ve been disrespectful? How about showing me some respect? You are supposed to be setting a good example for me, not using your authority to get revenge on me at school for calling you out on your inappropriate kitchen rendezvous.” I spat. Nick’s brows knit together in anger.

“I wasn’t upset over you calling me out, what upset me was your attitude, you hurt Cat’s feelings and embarrassed her this morning.” He argued raising his voice.

“GOOD! She should be embarrassed!” I said raising my voice to match his.

“What is wrong with you today?” Nick questioned clenching his jaw in frustration. “I thought you liked Cat.”

“I DO…PREFERRABLY WITH PANTS!” I yelled before hopping up and running out my door slamming it behind me. As I ran down the stairs I could hear Nick not far behind yelling, I quickly made my way past everyone in the living room and walked out the back door letting it slam behind me.

Cat’s POV

The conversation between Dani, myself, and the boys grew quiet as yelling erupted from upstairs, moments later there was the sound of a door slamming and CeCe came bellowing down the stairs, Nick not far behind, his tone angry as he yelled after her. She quickly made her way past us in the living room before making her exit out the back door.

“CECELIA MARIE!” Nick yelled out, his face contorted with anger as he entered the living room, I quickly jumped up in front of him blocking the exit.

“Nick…” I said placing my hand to his chest.

“Not now Cat,” Nick growled as he attempted to side step away from me, I quickly followed in step.

“You need to calm down, you are not going to get anything resolved with you both screaming at eachother.” I reasoned.

“I’m not screaming.” He barked, I cocked my brow.

“Oh no?” I said challenging his defense. Nick locked eyes with me and sighed. “Just…let me go talk to her, I’m the reason you are fighting anyway. Sit down and chill out, have a drink or something.” Nick reluctantly took a seat on the couch as I turned and walked out the back door. I walked out to find CeCe sitting at the steps leading off the deck, she turned looking worried as she heard the door close.

“I thought you were Nick,” she said seeming surprised. I walked over and took a seat next to her on the step.

“He is in a mandatory time out so he can cool off.” I said bringing a slight smile to Cee’s lips. “I thought I would come out here and talk to you, seeing as how it’s my fault you two are fighting.”

“It’s not your fault,” She said simply, nervously playing with the ring on her finger.

“I wanted to apologize about this morning. I’m not really used to thinking about anyone’s needs other than my own,” I attempted to explain, “I woke up and wanted coffee so I walked into the kitchen about ten seconds before you. Truth is, I didn’t even realize I wasn’t wearing pants until you mentioned it...I blame my lack of caffeine.” Cee giggled. “You were right, it was inappropriate and you had every right to be upset, I’m sorry.” Cee shrugged letting out a sigh, again fidgeting with the ring on her hand…something I have noticed in the short time of knowing her she seemed to do when she was nervous or upset. “So, talk to me, what’s wrong, besides me not wearing pants.”

“You not wearing pants didn’t really upset me although it was super awkward,” she said still fidgeting, “it was more WHY you weren’t wearing pants that upset me.”

“OHhhh.” I said. Duh Catherine.

“I mean, I assumed you guys were…you know.”

“Special hugging?” I questioned attempting to finish her thought, Cee smiled uncomfortably.

“Yes, I mean I’m not stupid, Nick is a big boy he can special hug whoever he wants.” Cee explained leaving me completely confused.

“Ok…I said OHhhh because I thought I knew what you were talking about but now I am lost again,” I admitted, Cee smiled.

“Nick has always kept his relationships separate mainly because they don’t last long…because of me,” She said wrapping her arms around her knees and bringing them close to her body.

“I’m sure that’s not the reason,” I said rubbing her shoulder reassuringly.

“Yes it is. If he was special hugging any of them, I certainly never knew about it and no one has ever stayed the night before,” She said finally bringing her eyes to mine. “You staying the night, being here for family dinner, its big…especially for Nick. He really cares about you. That’s why he was so upset with me this morning because I upset you and was disrespectful. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to embarrass you, I was just…shocked and worried I guess.”

“Worried? About what?” I asked again finding myself confused. CeCe shrugged.

“Since Mom and Dad died it’s always been just me and the boys,” her sentence trailed off as she again started to fidget with her ring. “Nevermind...it’s stupid.”

“Hey,” I said pulling her chin up till her eyes met mine. “I’m not here to steal your brother from you don’t think of it as losing him...think of it as gaining me,” I said smiling, a matching smile soon playing on CeCes face as she nodded in agreement. I pulled her into a side hug and she rested her head against my collarbone and sighed contently as the door opened behind us.

“Dinner is ready.” Dani said before shutting the door again to give us privacy. I gave CeCe another squeeze.

“Ready?” I asked simply, Cee nodded before standing up and offering her hand to me, I smiled accepting the gesture. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship and it all started with me having no pants.