Chapter Twenty

JAKE

Ellie's eyes grow big and I hear Jaz choke on her spit. I fiddle with the end of my shirt nervously waiting for her answer. I didn't come in her planing to propose but it just happened. And I don't know how I feel about it.  

"Why the hell would I marry you? You have intense moodswings." Ellie snaps. My heart stops and I know she's right. There's a knock at the door and Ellie's parents and sister walk in. I stand up to leave but Ellie grabs my hand, pulling me to sit on the bed with her. My heart flutters and I go along with it.  

"Mom. Dad." Ellie's voice is cold, and so are her eyes until she turns to her sister. They look alike, but her sister is older.  

"Hey Sis." Ellie's nose twitches, and I know she's trying to keep the tears out of her eyes.  

"Ellie!" The girl runs to her and wraps her arms around her sister. I smile at the sight and wonder why I haven't met her. She seems really accepting.  

"Hello Ellie." Ellie's mom breaks the silence that had settled over us. Jaz clears her throat and leaves the room. I don't blame her. I want to also, but Ellie has a death grip on my hand.

ELLIE

Jake is about as tense as I am, and I'm terrified. I can only imagine what he's thinking, after I told him I didn't want to marry him. He's going to hate me so much. I'm so crazy. I should've told Jaz to keep them away.

"Where's the baby?" My mothers cold voice makes chills go down my spine. I sniff and turn to keep eye contact.  

"She's in the birthing unit, sleeping." I tell her. She rolls her eyes and stands closer to my father.

"Do you want to meet her?" Jake speaks up. I look at him with wide eyes. My parents look at each other warily but Alison, my older sister, nodded eagerly. Jake got up and left the room, leaving me to face my family alone. I was literally shaking.

"She looks a lot like him." I tell them. Nobody says anything else and the silence sits heavy around us. The door opens again after what feels like an eternity and Jake enters with my baby. I smile and reach out for her. He ignores my waiting arms and stares down at the face of our daughter, and it suddenly dawns on me.

This is the first time he's held her.

Tears are gathering in my eyes as I watch Jake cry with happiness.

"She's beautiful. My God. She's gorgeous." He chokes out. I lose it at that point.

"She looks so much like you." I tell him. I forget my family is watching us as I cuddle up to both of them and continue watching Jake's face.

"Is the offer still up?" I whisper, only for his ears. 

"Huh?" He doesn't look away from the face of our daughter.

"For me to have your last name." That gets his attention. He looks to me with wide eyes and nods quickly. I kiss his cheek and fight to keep the smile off my face.

My dad clears his throat and I'm brought back to the situation at hand.  

"Can I hold her?" He steps forward, arms awkwardly positioned to hold the baby. Jake slides Lili into his arms and my dad stares down at her in awe.

"She really is beautiful." My mom tells us.

"I know." I nod.

"What's her name?" Alison asks while my dad passes Lili to my mom. My mom beams down at the baby and kisses her head. I watch carefully, waiting for something to happen.