Chapter Fifteen: Broken Promises

I wear a disguise,

I'm just your average Jane,

the super doesn't stand for model,

 but that doesn't mean I'm plain...

I'll be everything that I wanna be,

I am confidence in insecurity.

Alice's POV:

I studied my opponents carefully. Though their stature was less than terrifying, one wrong move could cost me. I had been dealt some interesting circumstances and had to learn to work with them. After much consideration, I made my maneuver. I struck quickly, recklessly. A moment past before my opposition reacted. Finally, the intercessor of the competition stepped in. She analyzed the situation before her and scoffed.

"How is 'A Bad Hair Day' patriotic?" she questioned breaking my concentration. I smiled at her ignorance and explained.

"A Bad Hair Day leads to wearing a hat or headband of some sort. Did that hat or headband appear out of nowhere? No. It was purchased. We are in capitalist society. The purchased hat is helping said society to thrive. Also, how about a patriotic hat? Didn't think about that one did you? I rest my case." Everyone stared at me, mouthed gaped. Knowledge was dumbfounding at times. 

"I think that's a little bit of a stretch," Jenny, our adjudicator, responded. I couldn't believe this. My answer was obviously the best choice. I looked over the other entries. The American flag, Thomas Jefferson, and Memorial Day shouldn't even be in this category. 

"Oh cmon, 'A Bad Hair Day' is extremely patriotic. You know I'm right! Off the book, I'm losing badly. It's kind of embarrassing. Marisa's already got three cards. She doesn't need this. Thomas Jefferson doesn't need this either--he's already got props from like sixty years worth of middle school teachers. Oh, so you're gonna give it to Marisa? Seriously? You're gonna give it to her? Great, give it to Marisa. This game is garbage," I huffed.

The other girls of my room eyed each other. The game Apples to Apples could be a little overwhelming at times, especially when some people were cheating. Normally, I was phenomenal at games. It must have been all the midnight stakeouts lately; they could really wear a girl down. 

"You gonna lay a card down or just hand me the victory?" Emerson teased. I stared down at my cards and sighed. You're getting beat by a bunch of thirteen year olds. Okay, technically Jenny is thirteen and three quarters, but still... 

"Is quitting an option?" I asked surveying everyone else's stack of cards beside them. Jenny laughed and shook her head. Splendid. 

The door swung open to reveal a very irritated Rolin. I smiled at her timing. This whole roommate bonding thing was starting to get a little old. Her eyebrows rose when she beheld what was before her.

"By all means, carry on," Rolin said sitting down. I glared at her from under my glasses, and she chuckled. 

"Do you want to play?" Emerson asked her innocently. I grimaced. Poor thing had no clue. I saw something spark in Rolin's eye and knew what was coming next. 

"I'm sorry. I stopped playing games back when I was in the fourth grade. Wasn't this game recalled back in '15?" Rolin questioned mischievously. I hadn't even thought of that. How had Jenny gotten her hands on this? I looked over in her direction to see her quietly slipping out of the room. Weird. 

"Can I speak with you in the hall, Alice?" Rolin asked checking her watch. I nodded and stood up to follow her. I felt two pairs of eyes follow me as I exited. I probably should have introduced them, but there would be other times. Rolin wasn't really that great with people either.