Chapter 18: Half-truths and White lies

No Hunter in this chapter. But you'll get to know him better through the eyes of his friends and enemies. Which version of Hunter would you choose to believe?

***

Whispers circulated the room as soon as I stepped inside.

I caught the words: Moriarti Tech, Cain, and balls mentioned several times in hush voices as I made my way to my seat.

Luckily for me, Mr. Charleston wasn't feeling well that day so he didn't have the energy to berate me when I arrived to class thirty minutes late. Unluckily for me, he still had the energy to ask why Hunter wasn't with me.

"I-I don't know, sir." I said, trying to ignore Collin's hoots of mirth. I was starting to suspect the guy was our number one shipper. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw him one day wearing a: "Hunter and Sky is my OTP" shirt.

"It is a shame that Mr. Cole will miss this very important lesson about the exhilarating wonders of Thermodynamics." The professor said.

The irony almost choked me. Thermodynamics is the subject of the relation of heat to forces acting between contiguous parts of bodies, and the relation of heat to electrical agency. I was certain that what Hunter and I did earlier was related to the subject.

I slumped down to my chair.

After our kiss, Hunter said he needed to take care of something, then he stormed out of my sight faster than I could say Physics.

To be honest, it was kind of annoying. What was the point of returning to school when he wouldn't even attend his classes?

I had a feeling he was off to follow Cain, making me crazy curious about the history of those two.

"Cain wants something from Hunter." I blurted out to Shawn who was sitting next to me.

"Obviously." Shawn murmured under his breath. There was something about his tone that made me stop ransacking the inside of my backpack for my notebook and pen.

I looked at him and saw that he was scribbling something that looked nothing like the lecture on board. In fact, it looked very much like an intricate battle plan.

"Are you up to something?" I asked as I eyed his notebook warily.

Shawn put down his pen to give me a steely look.

"I am on my beast mode." He said, he had pen marks all over his face. I was pretty sure that wasn't what beast mode was supposed to look like.

I grabbed a sheet of wet wipes inside my bag and rubbed his face as I raised one of my eyebrows at him inquiringly.

"Should I be worried?" I asked.

Shawn ignored my question but instead moved closer.

"Don't worry about me. Worry about yourself." He hissed. "Do you know that Cain and Maria are the children of Gregory Moriarti, the CEO and president of one of the biggest software company in this country?"

I was too stunned to react. How could I possibly know that? It wasn't like Cain gave me a business card when he stole a kiss from me yesterday. I thought he was just a random Mafia member.