Chapter One.

Nine Years Later

"Give it back Kaden!" I yelled after the annoying seventeen-year-old. He stole my freaking phone! Ugh! Why do I even try to hang out with him? He always takes something from me! And it had to be right when Logan text me! Ugh!

My family and his family were having a picnic by the lake because school starts tomorrow and I'll be a sophomore and Kaden will be a senior.

I heard Kaden's laughter and he was a few feet ahead of me, "Run for it, Jesse. Run!" he taunted as laughing. He knew he was much faster than me. I hate running and he knows it too! Ugh!

Fear washed over me when I realized he was running to the dock where the lake is. He wouldn't drop my phone in the water, would he!? "You better not be doing what I think you're doing!” I yelled.

We ran past our dads and they shook their heads and laughed. They know me and Kaden always fight with each other when we hate each other. Well, we don't hate each other exactly, but we don't get along sometimes. But it's Kaden's fault! He just has to act like an immature nine year old!

I can't believe he's older than me.

Kaden ran onto the dock and went all the way to the edge and held my phone over the water and laughed, "Come and get it, Jesse,"

I stop midway and got down on my knees and put my hands together, "Please, Kaden, don't!" I begged, hoping he wouldn't do it. I gave him a puppy dog face by thrusting my bottom lip out and making my eyes bigger.

He chuckled, "I need more than that, Jesse!"

I growled at him, but continued, "Please, please, please, I'll do anything you want! I'll be your best friend if you give it back," I promised.

He snorted, "You're already my friend, Jesse. I will need more than that," he said, empathizing 'that'.

I snorted in my mind. I'm hardly his friend! Why would I want to be friends with a jerk who's about to throw my phone in the water--which he does have the guts to do--and who constantly taunts me? I only hang out with him sometimes because our families are friends with each other.

I crossed my arms over my chest and glare at him, "Fine! If you drop my phone, I won't be your friend anymore."

He chuckled again, "You're not helping your case you know Jesse."

To try again, I put on my begging look again, "Pretty please with a cherry on top! I'll um, get you a date with Tabitha Jones.", I said. It should be easy since Tabby thinks he's a hot stud. Ugh, I wanted to roll my eyes now, but can't or else my pleading look will go down the drain.

Tabby's one of my friends. I'm popular in the sophomore hallway, but in the rest of the school, I'm just another girl in the crowd. I don't do any sports, but I'm in the drama club. My best friend—girl best friend—is Melanie Williams. We've been best friends since fourth grade when Kaden went off to middle school and I had no one around to play with. So one day when I forgot my lunch, Melanie happily offered to share her peanut butter and jelly sandwich with me. We've been close ever since, but not as close as me and Kaden.