Chapter Thirty-Five - You're Mine

‘Laura, Laura, Laura … I never thought I’d have to say this to my own sister, but you’re one hell of an idiot,’ Sinead sighed, shaking her head as she down at the table after I set her plateful of dinner in front of her.

‘Thanks,’ I grumbled sarcastically, picking up my knife and fork and beginning my own dinner. ‘But, you know, it wasn’t really my fault. The principal even knows that it wasn’t me. I know this sounds childish, but Rebecca actually did hit me first … Oh, and I told Mr Pollard all about the messages I’ve been getting … but now he thinks I’m being bullied –’

‘– which you are –’ Sinead interrupted, pointing her forked broccoli at me.

‘– anyway, it doesn’t really matter,’ I said, deciding to change the subject. The last message Mr Riddle sent me echoed in my head (for about the hundredth time since I read it), and I shuddered slightly. ‘So, how come Travis isn’t stalking you today?’

She shrugged. ‘He just said that he had important things to do today. He hasn’t answered his phone either, but I don’t really mind if he doesn’t come over … I need to catch up on the time I’ve lost with James. It’s funny, though, because whenever Trav is over James refuses to come over.’

I raised an eyebrow. And she called me an idiot? ‘Can you honestly blame him? I’m sure he doesn’t want to be hanging around with your ex-boyfriend,’ I said disapprovingly. ‘I wouldn’t be too fond of spending time with Ryan’s ex-girlfriend.’

‘Where is Ryan, anyway?’ she asked, checking the time on her watch.

‘Just going over to get stuff for Chris’s party with the rest of the lads out of school. He said he’ll be back later …’

‘Really? I didn’t think he was friends with anyone in your grade, you know, because he’s older than the rest of yous,’ said Sinead, pouring us two glasses of water.

‘Well I’m friends with his friends. It’s just the same.’

‘He really has loads of friends, doesn’t he?’

‘I suppose so … How do you know, anyway? You’ve only met James and Kyle so far, I think …’

Sinead frowned for a moment, handing me my water. ‘Travis was telling me a bit about them …’

In surprise, I began choking on the mouthful of water that I was in the middle of swallowing. I tried to put my hands up (a trick my dad taught me ages ago) to clear my airways, or whatever, and eventually it worked. ‘What did he say?’ I wheezed, putting my glass back down on the table.

‘That they’re all little brats,’ she laughed, and then pursed her lips. ‘Remember when I went on my first date with James? Well, remember when I was talking to you about it … and how he said something about gangs? Laura, were you lying to me when you said that Ryan wasn’t in a gang? Because according to Travis, the whole lot of them are in a gang – one of the gangs that the news are always on about.’

I stood up, grabbed my plate and went over to wash it in the sink. It took nearly all of my effort not to smash it across the room in my anger. I couldn’t believe that Travis told her! The stupid bastard! But, would I tell the truth, or not? This was my chance … Actually, I’d leave it to Ryan to explain everything to her. It wasn’t any of my business, and I didn’t want to get into trouble for spilling his secret. ‘You should ask Ryan about that. I’m not the one to be talking about this to you. I don’t even know, anyway.’

She stayed quiet for a moment, and I heard her drumming her fingers along the kitchen table. ‘Travis told me that he was in a gang, too.’

‘What?’ I squeaked, nearly dropping the plate.