Midnight Haunts

Baz.

"Baz, can you stay with him?" Bunce asked as we all stood outside saying goodbyes as she got into a cab.

"Sure?" I asked. I knew it wasn't her idea, surely. She hated me, or disliked me or something. She wouldn't like the idea of me staying in her flat, free to snog Snow wherever I wanted.

"Just in case," she said. Ah, so she was worried. No one had made an attempt on Snow's life since the death of the Mage, but I supposed that there was always the possibility that something would happen. Since he didn't have his magic anymore, it would be up to one of us to protect him.

Of course, I stayed with him. He was quiet without Bunce, but I managed to get some cuddles in on the couch while watching a Disney movie marathon. I decided to sleep on the couch to let him have the the peace and quiet of his bed. I would have loved nothing more than to spend the night with him, safe and cozy under his blankets, but I figured he would want to be alone. Also, his wings probably took up most of the bed and I didn't know that droid spell of Bunce's to spell them away.

In the middle of the night, long after Snow had sulked off to his bedroom for the night after a mediocre and half heated peck on my cheek, I woke up. I smelled magic. Snow's magic. The scent was so familiar and homely, but I hadn't smelled it since the Incident. Simon. My thoughts wandered to him, wondering if he was okay. Why was I smelling his magic? He was a Normal. He didn't have magic.

Then I heard the scream. I sprinted to his room and found him quaking in his bed, a nervous sweat trickling down the sides of his beautiful face. I rushed over to him and held him close to my chest. His breathing was shallow and he was crying. I sat down on the bed, snuggling close to him.

"Simon, what's happened?" I don't tell him that I smelled his magic because I don't want to get his hopes up. Anyway, it's gone now. Gone just like it came.

"The Mage," he sobbed. "The Mage was here."

He points to the window of his room, which is open, and he lets out another sob. He collapses back into my chest.

"The Mage is dead, Snow. You killed him," I remind him. He tenses when I mention this, but I have to remind him. He needs to remember that it simply isn't possible for the Mage to be back.

"He was here, Baz. I know what I saw. He spoke to me," Snow pouts.

I raise an eyebrow. At least he's calmed down now.

"What did he say?" I inquire.

Snow looked at me, his blue eyes lifeless and empty.

"That I need to die," he sobs. Now he's panicking again and relying on my reassuring cuddles to make it through. I don't mind. He's extremely lovable.

"Simon, stop. Go to sleep. This will all be fine in the morning, okay? I'll stay here with you. I'll never leave you, okay?"

Simon nodded before falling to sleep.