Chapter three

Chapter three

"YOU MEAN YOU'LL DO IT?"  Fury asked for the millionth time

"YOU MEAN YOU'LL DO IT?" Fury asked for the millionth time. I groaned as I opened the door to my apartment.

"Yes." I replied as I took off my tan trench coat and hung it on the coatrack. "Now shut up before I change my mind."

"Alright fine." He said. "I'll send someone over to get you. Pack your bags Lin. I know you'll like it here." He hung up and I leaned against the wall, looking around my apartment.

It was small, one bedroom, a kitchen, bathroom, and living room. I didn't care how small it was, it was home. I walked into my room and took out my suitcases.

"Alright." I said. "What to bring..."

I glanced around my room and my eyes landed on my closet. That was probably the biggest thing I had in my house. It was a walk in closet which I had filled with clothes from millions of years ago.

I looked through the clothes, smiling at the memories that came back. My dress from 1783, a petticoat from 1896, my flapper outfit from 1922, and even the gown I wore to queen Elizabeth the first's coronation ball!

I decided to bring more modern clothes. After all, how weird would I look fighting crime in an one hundred year old ball gown? I chuckled at the thought.

I took simple clothes, tshirts, jeans, sweaters blah blah blah. I walked back and forth, carrying clothes and putting it into the suitcases.

Soon, i came to the back of the closet. I moved a old shirt away and stopped in my tracks. In front of me was the dress I had worn when I had first met Tom. It was a simple blue dress, with a patch at the bottom.

With a shakey hand, I reached out and touched the dress. It was no longer soft but dirty and rough. I took the hundreds year old dress off the hanger and held it close to my chest with tears in my eyes. I closed my eyes and remembered that night.

I ran as fast as I could but I heard the person close behind. Thunder boomed and rain was pouring down. My wet hair stuck to the sides of my face and back. I was running so fast, I tripped over a tree root and ripped the bottom of my dress.

"Damn!" I spat as I stood up. I glanced over my shoulder and saw the figure still running towards me. I immediately turned around and kept running until I reached the end of the forest.

In front of me was a field full of corn. I ran though it in hopes of getting rid of my predator. I ran and ran until the fried ended and a small house stood next to a barn.

I turned around to check if it was still after me. The corn rustled, showing my attacker was still there. I kept running and didn't stop until I reached the house.

I knocked on the door repeatedly. Finally, the door opened to reveal a tall young man. He was handsome, with messy brown hair and soft green eyes. There was a sprinkle of freckles across his nose and cheeks.

He looked surprised. I guess anyone would if a crazy woman knocked on their door at three in the morning. He looked me up and down with his mouth hanging open.

"Please help me." I begged. "Someone's after me and I have no where else to go." He nodded and opened the door wider to let me in. I hurried in and he locked the door behind us, glancing out the window.

I looked too and saw my attacker shaking his fist at the house then walking away.

"What did you do to make him so mad?" He asked, finally talking. He walked into another room and I followed him. It was the kitchen.

"I don't even know." I replied. "I couldn't sleep so I took a walk. Next thing I knew, he was following me and started to chase me." He walked towards a closet in the hall and pulled out a blanket.

"Here." He said handing it to me. "Before you catch your death of a cold." I smiled and wrapped the blanket around me.

"Thank you." I said, sitting in a kitchen chair and snuggling into the blanket.

"Let me make you some tea to warm you up." He said opening a cupboard and pulling out a kettle and tea bags.

"Oh no it's fine really." I said. He shook his head and turned to me.

"You are my guest." He said pointing at me.  "I'm making you tea before you freeze to death. " he turned back around and began preparing tea.

"Thank you." I said quietly. He turned his head to me and smiled. I sat in silence for a while, watching him prepare tea.

"What is your name?" He finally asked me setting a cup of tea on the table.

"Lin." I replied. He grinned.

"I'm Tom." He replied. "Tom Harris." I shook his hand and took a sip of the tea. He looked down and saw the tear in my dress.

"Just a minute." Tom said standing up. He left the room and came back a minute later holding a needle and thread. I started to take it from him but he held it out of my reach.

"Please Ms. Lin." Tom said. "Allow me." He sat across from me and began so sew the dress back together.

"I've never seen a man sew before." I chuckled. Tom laughed and looked up at me.

"I'm alone here so it helps that I know how to do everything." Tom said. He fumbled with the needle, almost dropping it. "Well, almost everything." I laughed.

"You're welcome to spend the night." He said finishing up. "I have an extra room. I could walk you home in the morning."

"Thank you." I said. "But I think I can manage on my own."

"No it's my pleasure." Tom said holding up a hand. "Where do you live?"

"Nowhere." I replied. He raised an eyebrow.

"Nowhere?" He repeated. I nodded.

"I travel a lot and right now I'm just staying in the Hamilton Inn." I shrugged. Tom was silent for a minute and put down the needle and thread. Finally, he spoke.

"Ms. Lin, I've been thinking about getting some help on the farm. Just to tend to the animals while I take care of the crops." He said. "Well maybe you could- I mean if you wanted to... I mean-" I smiled.

"I would love to stay Tom." I said. He grinned and put his hand on top of mine on the table.

"Wonderful!" He said.

I opened my eyes, which now we're dropping with tears. I brought the dress over to my suitcase and buried it under the rest of my things. I closed the suitcase and took a deep breath before flopping into my bed.

This job would be different. I wouldn't get too attached. I would work and maybe even meet some new friends. Fury even said I could go home if I wanted to.

I got up and rubbed my eyes to get rid of the tears. It was a good thing I wasn't wearing makeup or it would have gotten all over me.

I finished packing the bags. Toothbrush, hair comb, reading glasses, a few books, and so on. I sat on the edge of my bed and zipped up the second suitcase.

A knock on the door startled me and I fell off the bed.

"Ow..." I groaned.

That must be the agent Fury sent to collect me. I pulled myself off of the floor and grabbed the two suitcases. I fixed my hair and walked to the door. I opened it and there stood a man.

"Hello." He smiled. "I'm Clint Barton. I was sent by Nick Fury?"