Prologue: Part 1

"Our world as we know it is about to drastically change."

Modern life has been praised by billions, that their lives and homes and families and activities are more advanced- more fun- than any other era our world has ever experienced.

Penna MacKey has no choice but to agree. She has seen many things in her life on the streets and experienced more than many people will in their entire lives in her short span of sixteen years. With a younger sister to care for and no job willing to hire such a young and inexperienced girl, a miracle in disguise would be very much appreciated.

Of course, what came next what definitely more than what she had asked and prayed for.

How could she have possibly known that everything she knew would be gone in an instant? How could she know that her home city and roads that paved her bed would be invaded by creatures? Beasts that live in storybooks, tales, fables. How could she possibly even imagine that dragons had come to stay?

Written/Edited/Created By: Katherine Hinchley (Wattpad User -MidnightStories-)© 2015-2016 Katherine Hinchley (Wattpad user -MidnightStories-)

This story is to be entered into the #JustWriteIt #OnceUponNow Target contest.

**************************

Penna McKay stared out the large glass window of the office building, her eyes not fixated on the swaying grass nor on the swinging trees as dark storm clouds approached the large city of Houston, with thunder and lighting looming over the town. It didn't scare her in the least bit though; as a child, before she left the home that treated her cruelly, she would only think about how the mud would squelch beneath her feet and how she would finally get to put her handed-down shiny yellow rainboots to the test; this was before everything had went sour in her family. Springtime and all its lovely rain and clouds had been Penna's favorite time of the year- and back then, no one could have convinced her that a fun day out in the splattering water and softening dirt was never not enough to fix any problem.

She wished everyday that she could return to that carefree lifestyle, but the world did not have her life set in that kind of story. She lost the joy of childhood because of strong drinks that had taken her parents away because a driver was inconsiderate and turned her grandparents into monsters.

As the first few drops of rain sank to the ground and into the crystal clear pool in her backyard, Penna McKay was already to her feet and preparing to head outside; everyone would rush home to avoid the traffic and collisions that the storm would cause and this would be her chance to take what she needed.

She turned to glance at her younger sister, Hannah, who was still sound asleep during her usual nap time. Penna knew the five-year-old girl didn't know exactly what she did to earn the rent or money to pay for the food they ate, but Penna knew that Hannah respected her more than anyone else in the world- no matter what she did. This was a child who dreamt of water fairies and frog princes, her world was filled with fantasies and stories that Penna told to keep the nightmares away.

Penna knew that Hannah had always had trouble focusing on the reality that was set before her. Her sister was not even old enough to spell the word "different" correctly, but from the strange looks that Hannah's fellow age group gave when she encountered them, Penna knew Hannah could tell she stood out amongst the naive, tattletale children that surrounded her at the park and other public places. Thankfully, the two sisters were not bothered in the least bit by the unusual attention- in fact, Penna knew that Hannah relished in it.