Chapter 1:It was the Best of Times, It was the Worst of Times

Prologue

It has been one hundred years since we devastated the planet of the humans. And though they fought with honor against us, they still lost. It was a victory for our kind but it did not last. Ammon, the traitor is the one who aided them in the war, but only after his capture. And because of his betrayal we turned to a new leader, but in the end he was also defeated.

Ammon preached to us, asking us to give up our fight and join forces with the humans instead. He told us they could provide us with a new way of life, and we'd never have to fight again. His words were virtuous to our ears and so we listened, and even helped the humans leave their world and find a new place to call home.

They built a great city, a temple to their god if they had one. And we helped them build it. Peace, as they called it, was what we believed we had achieved. But peace was a lie. The human army were the only ones to accept us Tjatey, but the others still hated us very much. They wished death and suffering upon us. They found a new leader and we still had Ammon. Their leader they called Morane, showed no fear in his hatred towards us. He incited the violence and hate against our people. Ammon and the human army, did nothing but swear an oath to keep us locked within their fences. For we were not permitted to leave and explore their great temple. We were to remain trapped, working as slaves for the human army.

Ammon was a fool to call this a better life for us. And because of his foolishness he has perished from illness. The others mourn but I do not. He was not the last of his bloodline, for his daughter had a son that carries him now. A half-breed called William, but he too is a traitor. He feels shame for who he is and looks down on his true people, while worshiping our enemy. I feel shame as well, and I grow tired of working as a slave for these humans. I fear if we do not act soon and reclaim our place as true warriors of these savages, then all will be lost. The one called William is our last chance, but will he join us? I fear we may be too late. He already seems poisoned by the humans.

But should he refuse to join us, we will fight the humans anyway. Our god is starving and it is time that we once again, spill their blood in his name.

It was the year 4000, and the intergalactic metropolis of Atlantis City was teeming with busy civilians who crowded the sidewalks and streets of the city of eternal night. Most of the populace were typical thrill seekers, looking for their next high, either in the form of gambling, alcohol, sex, or drugs. But since it was close to midnight, most of the major businesses and big casinos saw the most activity, while smaller establishments, particularly those within the old downtown area, had but a smattering of patrons. And one such place was a little old dump of a building known as The Card Shack, where civilians came to drink, socialize, or watch one of the joint's rigged games.

But on this night, there wasn't any big game happening, yet that didn't seem to deter a young loner named Brian Smith, who was seated at the bar all by himself smoking a cigarette. You could tell just by looking at him that he had closed himself off to the rest of this world. He was normally quiet, wearing the same black leather jacket every night, with a light green dress shirt underneath, and a pair of dark pants. And while he had a rather boyish look about him, there were large dark circles under his weary looking blue eyes caused by an obvious lack of sleep, and yet he seemed so calm but unfocused, staring off into space as though he were lost inside his mind.

"What'll it be this time?" The dark haired bartender named Enrique asked him, finally breaking the awkward silence between them.

"Water, same as always," Brian answered avoiding any eye contact for the moment.