12 | doubt

1 2

d o u b t

I FELT EMPTY when Jed had to leave.

A part of me wondered if werewolves felt the same or if, like Lorraine had once told me, they felt worse because their human and animal emotions were amalgamated and they felt doubly what we usually did. And if that was the case, I understood the expression on Jed's face perfectly – the way his eyes scanned my features like he was trying to ingrain my image in his memory, and his evident reluctance as he lingered by the doorway of the hotel room.

"She'll be fine, Alpha," Katya brushed his worries off with a casual wave of her hand. She was one of the best fighters in the pack, according to Adrian; and she, Giles and Spike were here on Jed's orders to make sure that I was safe while he was away. "We won't let anything happen to her."

Jed's eyes flickered to me for a moment before he eased back with a quick nod. Adrian was already waiting out in the hallway, and I watched as Jed slung his bag over one shoulder and headed off with him. Giles was about to shut the door when I stopped him, placing a hand on the wooden surface as I squeezed my way out.

"Hey, wait up!"

My feet were propelling me forward before I could even register it, but I knew it was no supernatural mating pull that was making me feel this way. It was a deeper pull than that – something along the lines of how I really wanted Jed to be with me. Always. To never leave. To be safe. You didn't need to be a lycan to feel that way about someone.

Jed quickly turned at the sound of my voice and his eyes widened when I stepped closer to him. I smiled, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear and feeling rather self-conscious all of a sudden, especially when Jed glanced down, amusement flashing in his eyes when he realised that I wasn't wearing any footwear.

"I – " I paused, then threw a glance back to the room. Katya, Giles and Spike were all staring out of the door at us, matching looks of curiosity on their faces. But the moment they saw us looking their way, they quickly retreated. My eyes drifted over to Adrian, who was leaning against the wall with a smirk on his face.

"Don't mind me," His grin widened, tipping a head back as he stared at us, with his arms crossed over his chest. "Carry on." But he hastily straightened when Jed threw him an unamused look over his shoulder. "Alright, alright," he mumbled, turning to head towards the elevator. "I'm going."

When Adrian was far away enough, I turned back to Jed, feeling anxiety gnaw at me like a weary hole in my gut. "You'll be safe, right?"

His gaze softened and he nodded slowly, but I didn't miss the flicker of uncertainty in his eyes at all.

"Good. Just – " I exhaled, taking a step closer and pushing myself up on the tips of my toes. He barely had the time to freeze or react, and I was brushing my lips against his cheek the next second, my lips cool against his warm skin. His citrus aftershave and faint masculine scent was intoxicating and I shut my eyes, trying to memorise him, all of him, for a moment before pulling back, staring up into his dark eyes. "Just come back to me, okay?"

He tentatively drew his fingers up, and I smiled when he touched the spot where my lips had been mere moments ago because it seemed like he was trying to memorise me too. Then he let out a quiet breath. "I promise."

I fell a step back. "I'll see you tonight, then." He still seemed rather reluctant to leave and I offered him a reassuring smile. "Go on. I'll be fine."

Jed nodded and left, even though he glanced back over his shoulder a few times. I watched until they disappeared into the elevator before letting out a sigh.