Chapter 15 part 2

Two weeks have passed and everything is going perfectly, though I find this relationship increasingly difficult to believe.

Shizuku and Kurosawa meet at the school's front gate every morning before classes start. He carries her books to class with a somewhat smug expression. I have no idea how she avoids telling him where she lives. I've never seen her lie so I doubt she's made up a cover story. I wonder how long this can actually continue.

I find myself constantly watching them, growing progressively wary each day. I'm waiting for the inevitable moment when everything turns, the hidden truth is revealed and everything starts to go wrong. My gut is telling me this can't continue for long.

"We will start giving our reports next week," the social studies teacher announces in class. "This will be your last class in which to prepare. We will have at least four presentations each day, so you would be wise to make sure you are fully prepared to present them when you are called upon."

Kyoko finished our report long ago, so we hang out with Himura while Shimura reviews their report. She is sorting through papers and trying to get Himura's attention. "What do you think Shin-chan? Which of these photos should we use?"

Himura, who had turned her chair around to talk to Kyoko, glances over her shoulder. "Ah. Yes. Um. Well. I don't know."

"Come on. We're supposed to work together on this."

Himura's finger shoots out and taps a page almost before Shimura finishes speaking. "This one."

Shimura cocks her head and looks at it. "Really? Why this one?"

"I don't know. I just thought it would be good to use."

Shimura lays out several more pages. "What about these?"

Himura taps another page. "OK. This one then."

"We can use more than one. In fact, we'll need to."

"OK, use them all."

"We can't do that, it's too much. Are you taking this seriously?"

"Of course."

"Then help me."

"I don't know anything about this stuff. Why do you keep asking me?"

"We're supposed to..."

I'm not really listening. I'm watching Kurosawa and Shizuku. They're huddled together at her desk like a real couple. Kurosawa is acting so thoughtful, listening like he cares about what she's saying. The normally reserved Shizuku is speaking like a normal girl with facial expressions and everything. Is this the same person?

Kurosawa says something with a stupid silly expression. Shizuku gives him a big smile. It's shockingly cute.

I feel a tug on my arm. Kyoko is giving me a concerned look. "I've been talking to you."

"Oh, I'm sorry. My mind must have wandered."

Kyoko looks over her shoulder at Shizuku. "What about your eyes? Have they wandered too?"

"What do you mean?"

"You've been looking at Shizuku-san for a moment. It's not a happy look."

An embarrassed flush fights with a panicked blanch for control of my face. They must cancel out each other since Kyoko doesn't seem to notice. I reply hastily, "Not her, him."

"Kurosawa-san?"

"Yeah. I don't trust him."

"What do you think he'll do?"