Blood Born - Chapter 33

As we lowered to the ground my mother, father, James, and Charlene emerged from the barn. Charlene let a gasp before collapsing to the ground. Mother shook her head, father watched, and James stared in awe. My skin tingled beneath the new armor. I slid from Draco's back and inspected his battered body. Not a single cut or gash could be found.

"How?" I asked.

"What was that?" James asked.

"I don't know and I don't know," Draco replied to both of us.

"I thought you already bonded," my mother said, circling the both of us.

I nodded my head. "We did. This was different. Very different."

"What happened?" she continued.

"He was hurt during the attack, but managed to defeat the intruders." I pointed to the charred bodies still lying behind him. "I was scared and confused. I knew he couldn't have been dead because I'm still alive. When I cried some of my tears landed on his wounds. He started to heal. I climbed on his back and that happened."

"Did you bond again?"

I shrugged my shoulders, looking down at the magnificent new armor. "Maybe we had a deeper bond. I healed you instead of you healing me."

"Maybe," Draco replied, nodding his head.

I took a deep breath and stepped forward. "Mother. Now is the time we fight. I know you want me to marry immediately, but it's going to have to wait."

"Absolutely not. The wedding will go on."

"No. We can't." I shook my head and pursed my lips into tight lines.

"Why not?" she asked. "What excuse do you have this time?"

"Excuse? Mother, half of the staff is lying dead right outside the castle. The Guild had them murdered in the middle of the day. That is more than an excuse. That is reason enough for us to attack them!"

"We can't. We are no match for them."

"We are now," Draco pipped up.

"What?" James turned toward him.

"The dragons are aiding in the battle. They will begin to take on more riders."

My mother's eyes grew wide as saucers. "The dragons are coming out of hiding?"

"Not necessarily. The riders will be hand-picked and the battle will have to be where the Guild is hiding. They're isolated and not far from here."

"Not far? How not far are they?" Father asked.

"St. Andrews."

"What?" James sounded exasperated.

He almost sounded defeated.

"They moved shortly after the escape. A few of the dragons have been keeping an eye on them for me and giving me updates on their movements. They are planning something. While Evelyn was able to free a lot of girls from captivity, quite a few have remained loyal and they called back all those from kingdoms worldwide. All the royalty is without protection right now."

"It's all my fault." I sunk to the ground, burying my face in my hands.

When I thought I was helping out everyone, I was actually hurting them. I was ruining everything in the world. If anyone died it would be on my hands. How could I have been so stupid to believe I could change anything.

"No, it's not Evelyn. This battle has been raging since before you were born. I started this by disobeying the Guild in the first place. Had I just been the obedient servant and protected your father instead of marrying him, nobody would be dead right now."