|19| Your vs. You're

Requested by: @SlayQueenNikki

Thanks for requesting!

You're lawn looks extra green today.

Your just the person I wanted to see.

We've all seen sentences on here like the ones above. We've all wanted to pull our hair out in anger from it at one point, too.

One of the biggest problems that turns me away from a story is bad grammar. It's absolutely awful.

The big problem though, despite the terrible grammar, is the reasons they give for having bad grammar:

It's my first story.

In that case, do/did you pay attention in your English class? You don't need to write a story to know the difference between your and you're.

It's basic stuff.

Oh, and my personal favorite:

If there are any mistakes, I'm sorry, I'm only 11 and I'm trying my best.

First off, why are you here?

I don't care if you're the best dang writer this planet has ever seen, if you're not 13 get the heck out of here and come back when your age meets the Wattpad requirements.

Show me your birth certificate!

And two, why are you using your age as an excuse?

That's like saying you can't do something because of your gender or race.

Don't make excuses like that.

But I digress. The difference between your and you're is simple.

Your: belonging to or associated with any person in general.

Your hair has a nice shine to it today.

Why do you believe your books are worth reading?

What do you think your chances of not mixing up you're and your again are?

You're: a contraction of you and are.

You're very kind.

You're liable to drive someone crazy.

Do you think you're better than me or something?

Sometimes people make mistakes with this once or twice (twice being the maximum limit), and that's fine. If you're really focused on what you're writing, it's only human of us to make a couple of mistakes. But if you're making this mistake every other sentence, it's time you touch up on your grammar.

To Suck

Confusing two simple, totally opposite things with one another. Honestly, does "What are you're specials?" even sound right to you? You're is a contraction for goodness sake, and there's a whole apostrophe in it to tell the difference between it and your. Or just use "you are", if you must. Anything to get that good grammar flowing through your veins.

Not To Suck

Proofread, people! And if that doesn't help, perhaps studying over some grammar online will do the trick. There's no shame in wanting to improve your writing skills.

*Got a request for a topic you're having trouble with? Tell it to me in the comments or, if you want, drop me a PM and I'll leave you anonymous.

I'm here to help, so don't be shy!