Chapter 29 - Elsa's betrayal

It was the day everyone had been waiting for. Pitch and Scorch we're ready for their plans to take action. North was now a more excited about everything. Elsa was worried, but was somehow able to hide it from everyone. Well, everyone but Jack, that is.

Jack noticed how Elsa was constantly tugging her gloves, the same ones that Jack had given her, and the way she was acting just seemed too fake. He stayed close to her, almost never letting her out of his sight.

There were three hours before departure, and everyone had a task. North had shut himself into his office, re-reading his list, Jack was dealing with the presents, and Elsa was grooming the reindeers. She also polished their bells so they were shining in the light.

Jack had picked his task so that he could still look after Elsa. He and the other Guardians, not including Elsa, had put him in charge of his without really saying it out loud, but Jack didn't mind one bit. He enjoyed her company.

About an hour before it was time to leave, North had called Jack and Elsa over to the globe. They ate a little, not too much because they were all saving room for cookies, and North went over the rules again. Neither of the kids were listening to him, but he didn't notice.

"I've got a present for you," Jack whispered to her, careful to make sure North didn't notice.

"Oh, where is it?" she asked in an eager voice.

He grinned. "You've got to wait till Christmas morning, silly."

She pouted, causing Jack to chuckle at her.

It was now time to leave, and Elsa was tugging with her gloves once again. Jack grabbed one of her hands, stopping her nervous habit.

"It's okay. I'm here."

She nodded, forcing a smile onto her face. Jack did the same, knowing that it was fake.

They reached the sleigh. North was already sitting in the front with the reins and a GPS. I guess even he needs one. Jack helped Elsa into the back seat where they sat next to each other.

North gave out a shout, flicking the reins. The reindeers started with a slow take off, but quickly gained speed. As soon as they were in the sky, they remained at a constant speed.

Elsa leaned over the side, getting a good view of the area. Jack put a hand on her waist to steady her and make sure she didn't fall out.

The lights from the workshop lite up the area around it and the snow glistened under it. She had never noticed how big the whole workshop was till now. The yetties and elves were standing outside waving them off near a giant Christmas tree that decorated.

Elsa waved back, leaning out further. Jack jerked her back a little.

"Careful there," he warned.

She sat back down, letting the cold winds wipe her braid back. She closed her eyes and started to relax a little. Jack couldn't help but stare at her. The moonlight made her skin look pale, and the cold air turned her cheeks a light pink color.

Neither had noticed, but North had just thrown a snow globe. They were sent through a portal, and caused the two in the back to move around a little.

Elsa had jumped into Jack's arms, causing him to jump at the sudden touch. He wrapped his arms around her, trying to protect her from the fall Jack was about to have. He tried to fall backwards onto his back, but ended up falling forward onto Elsa.