Ch.1

Chapter  One

Miranda Winters is my name please don't wear it out. I am 18 years old, I'm in the 12th grade, and I don't have any real friends.

I have people I know and who know me. I talk to them on occasions however they're not my friends. I guess you could say I'm the 'bad girl' in the school because I don't follow the rules that often. This is my last year of high school and I'm so happy. I'll start college close to home next school year, so I don't have to pay crazy amounts of money for college in a different state.

My family is sweet, I have an older adopted brother, Aaron, and a younger brother, Daniel whom we call dan. My Mom works every day of the week but is off on Tuesdays. My dad is in Afghanistan, I hardly ever see him since he always volunteers for more work. So, he is never home.

My parents make good money so in return me, Aaron, and Dan get almost everything we want.

I go downstairs and get an immediate whiff of my favorite meal. arroz con pollo. I walk into the kitchen to see my Mom standing in front of the stove.

"Hey Mom," I say and she turns around the instant she hears my voice.

"You've finally come down." She smiles at me and turns back around to add seasoning to the chicken.

"When's dinner ready?" I ask grabbing a shred of chicken and shoving it into my mouth before my mom notices.

"In a couple of minutes, why?"

"Because I am starving," I say over-exaggeratingly while opening the fridge, I grab my peace Tea.

I hop up on the counter across from the stove and pop open the drink. My Mom turns around and smacks my leg.

"Miranda, your butt, off the counter now. what are you crazy?!" her accent poked out; sounding exactly like her mama.

"Okay okay, don't hit me." playfully; She held up her hand like she was going to smack me but let it fall plus starts to laugh. My Mom and I always play around like this.

I went around the counter and sat in the chair. "So, Miranda you start school tomorrow." she changes the subject.

"Yep." I sip on my drink.

"Are you going to make friends this year?" raising an eyebrow she glances behind her back at me.

"Nope." She turns off the fire on the stove and puts her elbows on the counter in front of me.

"Why not?! please for once in your life, get out of the house and go live your teen years before they slip away in a couple years." She pleads knotting her fingers together.

"Mom, friends are a waste of time, they are too much drama that I don't need it,"I complain, getting comfortable in my seat.

"Mija, if you're not going to make friends can you at least get a boyfriend or hang with your prima like you used to?" She begs again but I dismiss it.

"Okay, first of all, Boys my age are disgusting and I hate them, and I can't believe you of all people are suggesting for me to get a boyfriend. Second, Corena moved to god knows where,"I say rolling my eyes.

"I'm sure they aren't that bad." While speaking, she put the food on platters and sets them on the counter.

She then takes out plates and places them next to the food. I take a plate, pile food on it, and sit down at the dining table.