Chapter 26 - A New Page

"Mom?" I called out in a hoarse voice as I walked inside the house. "Rosa?" I called my sister, but no one seemed to be at home.

I then remembered that Rosalinda had a doctor's appointment and mom was accompanying her. With my duffel bag around my shoulder, I started walking towards my old bedroom.

"Es?" I heard my dad's voice.

Great! I was hoping I wouldn't bump into him. I turned around and looked at him. He was probably watching T.V in the living room because he was holding the remote control in his hand. His gaze went to my duffel bag before it settled back on me.

"Is everything okay?" He asked, probably because he noticed my red and puffy eyes.

"Everything's fine." I muttered annoyingly as I turned back around and continued walking to my room.

"Is it Collin? Did he hurt you?" I could hear the anger in his voice.

I turned around suddenly feeling protective of Collin for some reason.

"He is more of a man than you'll ever be." I spat out, but instantly regretted what I said once I saw the hurt in my dad's eyes. "I'm..." I started, wanting to apologize when he interrupted me.

"You have every right to say that, Es. I wasn't a good father and I acknowledge that, but I'm trying to be better."

I nodded. I knew he was trying hard to make things work, or at least that was what Rosalinda had been telling me whenever she called.

"Do you have time?" I asked him wanting to talk to someone, and at that moment I didn't care that that someone was my dad.

A sincere and hopeful smile made its way to my dad's face. "Of course, I have all the time in the world for my baby girl." I smiled and dropped my duffel bag to the ground then walked with my dad to the living room.

"Collin broke up with me." I started as we sat down on the couch. Dad nodded for me to continue. "I love him." I started bawling my eyes out. I wasn't going to delve into details.

Dad wrapped his arms around my shoulders and started saying soothing words in my ears trying to calm me down. Once he felt me calm down a bit, he pulled back from the hug and looked at me.

"If it is meant to be, he'll come back and if not then at least you experienced something nice with him." He offered his piece of wisdom.

I nodded sadly. "Thank you, dad, I really needed that." I told him honestly. "A little breakdown does wonders for a girl." I chuckled and my dad joined in as well.

"Es, I know it's probably not a good time, but I need to talk to you."

I sniffed. "Sure."

"Your mom has told me how you have been working late hours at night until the early hours of the morning to help with Rosalinda's treatment expenses." I noticed the guilty expression on his face, but nodded nonetheless. "I know that maybe I don't have a say in it." He said sadly. "But I want you to quit. Find a nine-to-five job, even if it doesn't pay as much. I'm going to pay all of the expenses and not just for Rosalinda's treatment." I could see the sincerity in his eyes. "I made the biggest mistake when I left before, but I promise you it won't happen again." I knew that my dad was telling the truth. His eyes spoke before his words.

I nodded with a smile on my face. "I forgive you, dad." I suddenly said.

I could tell that he was shocked for a moment from the way his eyes widened before a smile broke onto his face.

"I am so happy to hear that coming from you, baby girl. I am so sorry for what I put you, your mother, and your sister through."

"Stop apologizing, dad. What's done is done. From now on we open a fresh new page with new memories." Dad nodded with a smile and hugged me tight.