Chapter One : Freshmen Year

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my story! The beginning is somewhat boring but I promise it's full of drama and love and all that other teen stuff.

A/N this story is under construction/revision/editing. storyline and chapters may change.

"I don't know about this Dakota." I said as we climbed out of my bedroom window. My feet landed softly on the grass without a sound.

"This is our first high school party. We have to go! It's a must." Dakota chuckled and ruffled my jet black hair. He always talked me into stupid things.

"Okay, but what if my mom checks on us and we're not there." I said, desperately wanting to climb back into the safe haven that was my room.

"It's too late for that. I promise you. This is going to be good." He smirked.

"You better be right." I chuckled and shoved him playfully. We walked down the dark empty street. It had to have been past midnight. I looked around, paranoid that I'd find my mom chasing after us like some homicidal maniac chasing it's next victim.

The party wasn't that far from my house, which was why I was so paranoid. At the same time I felt the tiniest hint of adrenaline from sneaking out. I got it every time Dakota convinced me to do something stupid. It'd always been that way for us. For me.

🏈

I craned my neck as we ascended the brick stairs, staring at the decor inside as we made our way inside. The mansion blared upbeat music, making my ears ring. The house was full of freshman wannabes like myself. Teenagers of all ages were scattered about the room, chit chatting away with beer cans in hand. It was the norm for a small town like mine, a place where everyone grew up together.

"Some spoiled brat must live here." Dakota nudged me. I chuckled nervously, the huge crowd was putting my nerves on edge, add in paranoia and you can imagine how I felt.

"Hey, you're Dakota Moreau right?" A tall burly blonde came staggering up to us amidst the sea of bodies. His breath reeked of alcohol and cigarettes and I gagged at the stench of it.

"Yeah." Dakota grinned smugly, as if it was an honor to be recognized by a senior. I rolled my eyes, slightly annoyed. I could already sense how the night was to go.

"I've seen you at practice. You have a hell of a throw man. You'll definitely make the team this year." He gave Dakota a firm pat on the back with his meat hooks. I questioned whether he was truly a senior or if he was simply an old fella looking for a good time with high school kids.

"I know I will." Dakota grinned. He grinned because he knew he was good at football and he wasn't shy about it. He'd always been good. Dakota and I learned to play before we learned how to walk. Name any sport and he was good at it. But his father insisted on Dakota taking up football.

"Here, have a shot." The blonde handed the two of us a glass full of vodka.

"Thanks, man." Dakota clinked his glass against mine and took it in one go. I hesitantly took a swig of the clear liquid. My throat burned and I wanted to barf it up instantly. It was a wonder to how people were able to keep a straight face while chugging this stuff down.

"First shots as freshmen! This year's already going great." Dakota patted my shoulder. After nearly coughing my lungs out from the smoke cloud blown in my face, I smiled weakly. All I wanted to do was tail it back home but I couldn't leave Dakota here alone. Or perhaps it was just me that was afraid to walk alone. I sighed heavily, watching everyone else have a good time. If my mom knew where I was, she'd bury me ten feet under. She'd always been strict. I was in the same boat as Dakota in that department, grades, football, and nothing else mattered.