0.0 Re:Write Prologue: Waves

Start from the beginning

As her horse drew near, the other scouts also directed their gazes towards her before adjusting their horses so they would draw nearer to Zoe as well. When they were all close together, Zoe gave them a quick nod before turning her gaze forward.

"Has your communications prism also gone silent?" said the man dressed in black robes.

Zoe nodded. The man turned his gaze towards the front as well.

When her prism had suddenly gone silent, Zoe had initially assumed that it was a malfunction but she quickly realized that although no messages were being sent by the commanders, the prism itself could still send messages, which meant that it wasn't broken.

The people on the other end had just gone quiet.

The thought made her heart skip a beat.

Central command has gone silent? Wouldn't that send the whole army into confusion?

Just as the thought went through her mind, the other scouts exclaimed loudly before pulling the reins of their horses to draw them to a stop. Zoe also pulled on her horse's reins and as the horse settled down, she quickly shifted her gaze towards the other scouts, expecting an explanation for why they were stopping when she hadn't sensed any presence nearby.

She realized that the others were staring straight ahead towards the center of the bridge and so Zoe turned her gaze in that direction as well.

And she froze.

In the center of the bridge stood a purple robed figure. The figure had it's back towards Zoe so she couldn't tell who it was but that wasn't what surprised her.

This figure had no presence at all. She couldn't sense any magic from it! And yet here it stood, right in the middle of the ancient Bridge of Babel.

But the entire world knows this is where the final battle is going to take place! Doesn't this person realize that this is the battleground for the largest battle of all time?

Zoe stood motionless for several minutes, barely daring to breathe. Just who could this person be? Moreover, they were wearing purple robes? Which force does that represent? Definitely not the Celeste nor the Pandomins. Maybe a mercenary or bandit group? But why would a mercenary or a bandit be here? Especially now of all times?

Just as these thoughts were going through her mind, a bright flash made Zoe raise a hand to cover her eyes while desperately holding onto the spooked horse's reins with the other. She felt a tremendous pressure bear down at her at the same time.

Shit!

She wrestled with the reins while tightly clasping the horse's body with her legs and barely managed to calm it down. She rubbed her eyes and slowly blinked them open as the blurred images began to take shape.

Several new figures surrounded the purple robed one in a circle. Zoe felt an unbearable pressure from those figures despite being so far away, making her wonder where so many powerful figures came from and why they would all come to the freaking middle of the battlefield!

-

She could barely make out the distant sound of crashing waves. She was standing on a hill overlooking an army but she seemed to looking somewhere far away. A growing sense of sorrow gnawed at her heart as she recalled the man she had loved but she sighed as she realized the futility of her feelings.

It's too late now.

She felt something buzz in the her robe's pocket. Puzzled, she reached in and took it out.