Chapter 9

I walked into the school with my usual head-high attitude. Though I was very wary of my surroundings, Paul was sure to be watching my every move today. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that he was going to be in every class I was. Which could only mean that I wouldn't get a moment to myself today. Though, there was one class I was sure that he wouldn't be in and that's my singing class. A small smile made it's way onto my lips at this realization.

"Well, well, what have we here?" Paul's voice came from behind me as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders and tucked me into his side. "If it isn't my new best friend Elsa!" he announces to the entire world.

"Paul, shut up," I try wriggling from his grasp but he doesn't make a move to release me. Instead he pulls me closer, if that's even possible. "I don't want the entire world to know you're my body guard, people already don't like me as it is."

"Why is that?" he seemed genuinely confused.

"Do you see the looks that all of these girls are giving me now that I'm back in town? They already know that you aren't going to look their way now." I'm not a conceited person, but it's true. Ever since Paul and I met, he has looked at no other girl. Well, except for her.

Paul looks around seeing a posse of girls looking my way with not so nice looks. "Why would that bother you when you've got the guys and me to hang out with?" There was an edge to his voice that made me feel a little bad.

"Because sometimes I just wish that I would have someone to hang out with that isn't one of you. It just reminds me of what happened last time I was here. Besides, you know I prefer to be holed up in my room with my fictional characters rather than interact with living human beings." I admitted without blinking an eye. Paul already knows to never ask me a question unless he wants a legitimate answer.

Paul tensed up, and leaned down to whisper in my ear, "There's not a moment that goes by that I don't feel bad about what happened Elsa, but everything will be different if you just give me another chance." We came to my locker and he gently pushed me against the door. "But there is something that you are not telling me isn't there?" he whispered. "There's a reason why you're pushing me away, why you're pushing all of us away." he accused.

I look up at him wide-eyed, "There's nothing that you don't know, that I haven't already told you LaHote." For some reason I make no move to escape his burning gaze.

Paul shakes his head, "You're lying to me." he says firmly. Then said nothing for a moment, and gave out a gentle sigh as if he gave up trying to read my eyes. "But that's okay, I don't expect you to trust me so quickly. With time you'll trust me enough. I believe that." He reached up and caressed my cheek.

I close my eyes and hold back the urge to lean into his touch because it was so warm and my skin is still so cold from the air outside. Everything about this moment made my breath leave my lungs. But this could never happen, not again. Though, not because I'm afraid of him hurting me again, but because I wouldn't live to see out wedding. Someone else could make him far happier than me. "Why? I've been so horrible, purposefully horrible to you. Why can't you take a flipping hint?" Tears threatened to spill over my lids.

Paul puts both hands on the sides of my face, almost looking pained at the tears that have trickled down my face, "Because that's not what we do to each other is it, Little Wolf? We don't abandon each other." He wiped the tears away with my thumb.

I sigh and shake my head, "You choose now of all times to bring up our little pact? Are you serious?" He was being so unreasonable.

Paul grins, "Super serious." He grasps my hand in both of his. "As long as you're on suicide watch." he teases, "You're never getting out of my sight, that will be enough. For now." He kissed my hand, then leaned forward quickly and kissed my forehead.