〰 10 〰

Calum and Michael hadn't been on a date in four years, which sucked beyond measures because they used to have one nearly every week when they were together. Due to the inconvenience of long distance, Calum figured he'd stay up later than he usually does to have a skype date with his boyfriend. He used to be incredibly romantic when he was younger and thinks he possibly still has that quality but isn't quite sure. Which is why he planned on surprising Michael.

The boy begged his boss to let him leave electricity duties early, and it took a lot of convincing. He agreed, however, Calum would have to handle picking up trash around the fields at four in the morning. Not pleasing, but it'd be worth it if it meant seeing his Michael smile.

Calum cleaned up his small room a little bit, making sure his bed looked clean, even though he didn't have time to wash the sheets. It didn't really matter since Michael wouldn't be able to see but he wanted to impress his boyfriend the way he used to. Which is why he also grabbed some of his favorite scented candles that he had stashed in his military bag for nearly a month and a half along with a lighter. His boss probably thought the lighter was for cigarette smoking, but Calum hasn't smoked a cigarette since he was younger. Which he's still incredibly proud of.

Calum carefully placed the candles on one of the trays on top of his bed and lit them one by one, enjoying the scent that flew through each of them. He then grabbed his bowl of soup, hoping that Michael would also have something to eat. Otherwise, it'd be really awkward for Calum.

The brunette made himself comfortable before dialing Michaels skype, and to say his heart was beating quickly would be an understatement. He was practically sweating underneath his clothes and was silently thanking himself for wearing a muscle tee so there likely wouldn't be any visible sweat stains.

Michael answered immediately, him lying down on his couch with sweater paws and a beanie on his head. He looked so cute, Calum thought.

"What's with all the candles?"

"We're having a surprise date."

"How romantic," Michael replied, rolling his eyes playfully. Inside, he was overly happy that his boyfriend was being thoughtful to have one after how many years they went without one.

Calum and Michael spent their night skyping, and Calum was so content with himself when telling Michael about how he slipped on the cafeteria floor this morning when somebody spilled their juice by accident.

"O-Oh god, that's so funny," Michael snorted, clutching onto his stomach as if it was going to run away from him.

"I'm so lucky to have you," Calum mumbled as he watched his adorable boyfriend laugh, with small tears in his eyes

"Don't get all sappy on me, lover boy."

"No seriously, you mean everything to me. Which is why I wrote you a song."

"A song?" Michael repeated, his eyebrows furrowing in the quickest manner possible. Calum nodded while adjusting himself in criss cross position before pulling out his guitar.

 Calum nodded while adjusting himself in criss cross position before pulling out his guitar

"Yeah, it's called Beside You."

"Within a minute I was all packed up
I've got a ticket to another world
I don't wanna go
I don't wanna go
The silent words are hard to speak
When your thoughts are all I see
"Don't ever leave," he said to me

When we both fall asleep underneath the same sky.
To the beat of our hearts at the same time.
So close but so far away.
Can you hear me?

He sleeps alone.
My heart wants to come home.
I wish I was, I wish I was beside you.
He lies awake.
I'm trying to find the words to say.
I wish I was, I wish I was beside you.

Another day and I'm somewhere new.
I made a promise that I'll come home soon.
Bring me back, bring me back to you.

When we both wake up underneath the same sun.
Time stops, I wish that I could rewind.
So close but so far away.

He sleeps alone.
My heart wants to come home.
I wish I was, I wish I was beside you.
He lies awake.
I'm trying to find the words to say.
I wish I was, I wish I was beside you.

There are pieces of us both
Under every city light
And they're shining as we fade into the night

He sleeps alone.
My heart wants to come home.
I wish I was, I wish I was...

He sleeps alone.
My heart wants to come home.
I wish I was, I wish I was beside you.
He lies awake.
I'm trying to find the words to say.
I wish I was, I wish I was beside you.

He lies awake
Beside you
I wish I was, I wish I was

He sleeps alone.
My heart wants to come home.
I wish I was, I wish I was..."

Calum bit his lip when finishing the ending to the song he wrote specifically about how he missed being beside Michael every single night. How he made empty promises about coming home; how he missed laying under the city lights and watching the stars glisten above him. How he missed being with his boyfriend, even when Michael begged him not to go.

Calum was afraid of Michaels reaction but he was quite surprised when seeing his boyfriend blushing like crazy.

"Fuck Calum, you're messing up my emotions."

"I'm sorry baby, I can't help it. I wanted you to know that I miss you too, even if it doesn't seem like it."

"I love you, Calum, okay? Even if you're an asshole sometimes, you just - I just, I love you so much."

"I love you too."

-

A/N; I haven't updated in so long I'm so sorry!!!!! I also changed she to he in beside you cause it has to fit for this book haha. So don't get mad or anything!!! Don't forget to leave a comment and a vote and thank you so much for reading!!! 💕💕💕