thirteen // let the fire burn

"Wait, you want me to what?" I ask, looking up at Rebekah in complete confusion. I had to sit down because she was talking so fast. Okay, maybe she wasn't, but I just had a hard time understanding.

"Find out where the rest of the white oak is." Rebekah states.

I still don't understand.

"And how do you suppose I do that?"

"A locater spell." She continues.

My eyes widen. My body tingles, knowing any second I'm about to explode. "I can't do magic, not without hurting someone! I don't know how to control this!"

Rebekah bobs down until she finally lets her knees touch the carpet. She looks at me; silently assuring me it'll be okay. "Kol is going to help you. Have a little faith."

I roll my eyes at her ridiculous pun. So not needed.

My gaze travels to Kol, standing in the doorway of the living room. "You really think you can help me?"

His hand rises to his heart, his mouth dropping. "I'm hurt you think I'm incapable of something so simple."

I close my eyes briefly, shaking my head.

This is a bad idea. I can feel it.

"Can't you simply ask someone or something? I'm sure at least one person in this town knows about the white oak tree." I suggest but Rebekah is quick to object.

"The Salvatore's are the only people who kept the records at that time and unless you feel like visiting their cellar again, this is our only option" she tells me.

Well I definitely don't want to visit that cellar ever again...

"Especially with Sage following them around like a lost puppy" Rebekah mumbles, lifting herself off the floor to take a seat next to me on the couch.

"Sage? Who's Sage?" I can't help but ask.

"Finn's ex from 900 years ago" she replies. "She's still pining over him after all this time."

A sudden rush of sadness rushes over me. I know she isn't talking about Niklaus and I, but I can't help but feel they are almost the same story. Niklaus has been waiting for me for a thousand years, just like Sage who has been waiting for Finn.

I can't help but feel for the girl.

I sigh dramatically. "What spell do I need to learn?" I ask, pointing my attention to Kol.

-

I can't help but think of Niklaus, or Klaus, or whatever people want me to call him. I can't stop myself from thinking about what happened the last time I did magic. I hurt him. I know my intention was to cause him slight pain in his head but definitely not what happened. It's my fault I chose that spell in the first place. I'm at fault.

I look at the map in complete dismay. I really don't want to do this. My stomach tightened. My eyes begin to water at the thought of hurting someone else.

"Don't you have to have something of the thing you're trying to track down? I mean, isn't that how it works?" I mutter.

"We're trying to find a tree, not a person" Kol answers, almost sounding disgusted with my stupidity. Well jeez, I'm sorry I'm not up-to-date with witch business.

"Okay, so what do we use to find the tree?"

Rebekah finally walks back into the living room with a small metal bowl. What is that for exactly?

"With this" Rebekah says, sitting down next to me.

"I don't think a metal bowl is going to help us find a tree, Rebekah."