Tired Mornings

Marinette was tired. Not just the common, completely normal "I didn't get to sleep soon enough" tired, but the slightly less common "I spent all night studying for a test and only got two hours of sleep" tired.

Nevertheless, she reluctantly got out of bed and made her downstairs into the kitchen of her apartment. She rubbed her eyes, trying to erase the sleepy fog covering them, to no avail. As she trudged to the cupboard to make some coffee, she found it to be empty.

Drat.

She closed the door, yawning widely.

I need coffee.

Caffeine was essential for her day to function. Without it, she was grumpy, yelled at everyone, didn't think straight, and the list just goes on. So, a cup of coffee was definitely in order.

Luckily, her first class didn't start for another hour, giving her the time to go to a coffee shop of some sort. She got dressed as fast as she could in her sleep deprived state before walking out the door in search of a steaming cup.

Finding a business suiting her needs, she stumbled in a daze to the front counter. Luckily, only one person was in front of her, so she didn't have to wait very long. She ordered quickly, blinking hard to try once again to remove the heavy blanket of sleep.

"Marinette," one of the employees called a couple minutes later, holding her coffee. She trudged back up to the counter, giving out a sleepy "Thank you" as she took the cup. The blonde haired barista grinned and winked at her.

"Have a purrfect day, Princess," he said.

Marinette took a sip of her coffee, which finally drove away her foggy state of mind. The words processed, making her blush as she speed walked away. But not before she saw his nametag, of course.

Adrien.

That was a name she'd remember. Especially when she told Alya later. He called her Princess! She giggled happily as she made her way to her destination, draining her styrofoam cup.

Ah.

That felt infinitely better, clearing her mind of any remaining tendrils of sleep that were stubbornly clinging to the corners of her brain. Now she was ready to start the day!

But she wasn't really focused. Her thoughts kept drifting to the handsome and flirty barista. Adrien. She sighed dreamily.

I can't wait to tell Alya at lunch. She's been dying for me to start dating.

Her face flushed beet red. Dating? Where had that come from?! She'd only bought coffee from the guy! She hadn't even properly talked to him!

By the time lunch break came around, she was internally panicking.

Should I go back? Just to talk to him? Ask for him?

She quickly found Alya seated at their favorite cafe. She rushed to join her; eager to sort out her worries and ask her friend's advice.

"Alya!" she cried.

"What's the matter, girl?" her friend asked, laughing a bit.

"Okay, you know how I am without coffee, right? Well, I was all out, so I went to buy a cup before class, there was this nice looking blonde haired guy, ALYA HE WINKED AND CALLED ME PRINCESS."

"Whoa, really?! Did you get his number? Please tell me you at least gave him yours!"

Marinette blushed, sinking into her chair. Alya facepalmed.

"Girl, what am I going to do with you?" she groaned.

"I'm sorry! But I was tired! And you know how I am when I'm tired!" Marinette protested.

"Yes, fine. Luckily for you, I have a million plans for how this could work. You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to find a guy! So, what you to do is to not buy coffee for tomorrow," Alya explained.

"What?! But I need coffee!"

"Don't interrupt! Just listen: instead of buying it from the store, you are going to march right back there in the morning and give him your number. Be cool about it! No wait, on second thought, just be yourself. But no matter what, you will give him your number. Got it?"

Marinette nodded furiously.

"Good. You should probably write a note for yourself in case you forget, though. Because we know how you are in the morning," Alya suggested, smirking a little at the end.

"That's a great idea!" Marinette exclaimed. "That's perfect! Thanks, Alya!"

"No problem! It's what I'm here for."

The rest of the day dragged on, leaving Marinette to her thoughts. Which were filled with a certain barista's cocky grin and plans for the morning.