Confessions

Ava's P.O.V

⛈(Weeks after the accident)

A tired smile graced my features when I felt the icy lips of the sky's tears gently kiss my exposed flesh. The frosty air playfully twirling my straightened hair in its fingertips its delicate whisper easily mixing into the soft sobs that ran through the crowd of bodies all cloaked in black matched the color of the darkened sky perfectly. I listened closely as the priest spoke highly of two women he knew nothing about while members of their family along with their friends wept as they said their final goodbye.

A sick sense of peace blossomed deep within me setting me free from heartache and worry as the rectangular boxes were lowered into the moist earth. I felt the curious and pitiful gazes that were thrown my way. The daughter/granddaughter of the victims. Victims painted as sweet innocent women who didn't deserve their faith. Their lives snatched from them prematurely by a evil madman who was trigger happy. Awarding them both two bullet wounds to the head and their bodies burnt in a mansion that was once coveted by all in the small town of Richwood.

Richwood shook when the news of the murder suicide spread that morning. The towns once well respected self made billionaire who's death they'd mourned months before coming back to kill two of his innocent friends before finally killing himself. Detectives concluded that Brent Johnson had gone crazy after the death of his wife and his son's accident which happened earlier that day which almost claimed his life.

I knew better though.

❄️flashback

I stood with my back pressed to the cool surface of the wall my shaking hand clasped over my trembling lips in an attempt to muffle my breathy sobs which racked my body at the scene I looked on at through hazy eyes. A layer of cold sweat covered his body as he tossed about the empty king sized bed slurred words periodically leaving his lips between his ragged breaths. Words that made absolutely no sense yet they had successfully made my concern soar to a new height.

Taking a moment to compose myself I walked over to the bed placing my hand gently on his back flinching when his heated skin came into contact with the palm of my hand. "Bentley wake up." I cooed gently shaking his body a few times. "What's wrong?" He asked jumping off the bed looking around the partially light room in search of danger when in fact the only cause of concern was him.

"Are you okay?" He asked stepping closer to me looking my body up and down which caused my frown to deepen. It's been three weeks since I left the hospital and Bentley's behavior lately has been nothing but strange. I wouldn't say that they were bad I saw nothing wrong in him being a bit more over protective over the kids and I what I had a problem with was his sleeping habits.

The fact that tonight is the first night that he actually slept most of the night instead of sleeping for three hours tops before going to his office and working through the night was enough cause for serious concern. "I should be asking you that." I bit back moving so I sat on the window seat in the furthest corner of our room putting some distance between us. "I'm good." He grumbled using his fingers to brush his damp hair out of his face before straightening his posture. "It doesn't look like you're good Bentley. Good doesn't look like that." I croaked my voice breaking as tears slipped from my eyes.

"Baby why are you crying there's nothing wrong." He whispered wiping away my tears with his fingers his tired blue eyes gazing into mine his words filled with hope;hope that the I would believe the lie he just fed me and simply let go of all my worries. "I'm crying because you're lying to me. I'm crying because you're afraid to sleep and when you do sleep you always have nightmares. I'm crying because you don't feel safe enough to talk to me about what's bothering you Bentley." I said angrily brushing my wild curls out of my face.