Chapter 14: Secrets (Part 2)

"Come on lad!"

Jarno opened his eyes and immediately began to retch and hack, doubling over on the quayside. Someone slapped him hard on the back and he vomited up what felt like an entire ocean.

"Thought we'd lost you there." Haskel stood over him with another man Jarno didn't recognise.

"Serice?" he coughed.

"She's fine," Haskel said. "Wasn't sure of your intentions when you turned up, but looks like you did us all a favour."

"Yes, well done Watchman," said another familiar voice. Jarno look around to see the fat and bruised face of Grett who was kneeling next to him.

"What're you doing here?"

Grett gave him a broad smile. "By coincidence, I happened to be in the tavern when you made your entrance."

"Coincidence eh?"

"Yes, absolutely," Grett got up. "Excuse me gentlemen, pressing business."

"Let's get you inside," Haskel said, helping Jarno to his feet. Together they walked back into the Finchers' common room. To Jarno's surprise, it was empty, apart from Serice and Leyla sat in a corner. They stopped talking as he entered the room.

"Take a seat," Haskel said, all but dropping him into a wooden chair. "Leyla, build up the hearth, Watchman'll be staying here again tonight."

Jarno started to shiver in the chair; his body only now remembering the cold. "B-blanket?"

"Of course," Serice said and disappeared up stairs. Haskel put a tankard in front of him. "Drink."

"No, I can't—"

"It's hot eastern tea, drink it and hold the cup."

"Where's—"

"No sign. Must have drowned in that armour, good job you let him go."

Exhausted, Jarno closed his eyes for a moment, trying to let the metal cup in his hands and Leyla's efforts with the fire warm him. "You need to call the patrol," he mumbled. "They'll dredge the berth and find him."

"Can't see them doing that tonight," the other man who'd been with Haskel said pulling up a chair beside him. Jarno opened one eye and got a decent look at him. Sour faced and with greasy black hair tied back in a ponytail.

"Who're you?" Jarno asked.

"Evisan, I help Haskel sometimes with the ale barrels," the man said. "Couldn't seem them girls' hurt."

"No, of course," Jarno said, "thanks for your help. You see us fall?"

"Yeah, I ran to the window, was first to get to you when you surfaced."

"You see his face?"

"No."

"I did," said Leyla.

Jarno glanced up. The girl had finished the fire. She was pale and frightened. Her slight figure wrapped in a woollen blanket and her hands shook on the poker as she placed it back in the stand.

"And what did you see?" Jarno asked softly.

"A dead man," she replied.

"Good then it wasn't just me." Jarno turned to Evisan. "Can you leave us alone for a minute?"

Evisan scowled, but got up all the same. "Shouldn't get lonely tonight, best we all look out for each other. I'll go check the dock and round the back again, just to be sure."

"Thank you."

When he'd gone, Jarno patted the vacated chair and Leyla came over.

"How long?"