I was cut short when Ian pushed me against the bookshelves, hard. I thought he was attacking me but he didn't. He placed one hand beside my head and the other one on my hips while he rest his head on my shoulder, trapping me in his cage. My breath caught up in my throat at our close proximity and I tried to shove and buried the sparks between us and the desire to wrap my hands around his waist but it absolutely require a lot of energy and focus to do so when his body pressed against mine. I lay my hands flat on the shelves when he inhale my scent at the crook of my neck. 

Why is he acting like this? Why his heart beat fast against his chest? Why does it feels like he...need me?

Before I could say anything, he beat me to it. "Don't ask why." He muttered on my skin and I shiver. "It's nature between us as mate and I forgive you because I love you. It sound selfish that I chose my mate over my pack but that is because I don't want to lose you."

I bite my lip, begging to myself that I won't cry in front of him again over his words. 'But I chose my pack over you. How can you tolerate that?'

He pulled away a little so he could see my face. "Seleyn, you have lost someone very important to you when you were young and that someone have left a legacy for you to carry on and protect and guard with all your life but that legacy was taken from you by your goddamn uncle. Now he has corrupt that legacy and misguided everything that your parents have built." Ian said softly, resting his rough palm on my cheek and I automatically lean my face into his palm, purring. "Now you, as a daughter to Alpha Marcus and a rightful leader to the Blue Moon pack, must act and take back what's yours and I'm not going to stop you or take that away. I can tolerate that just fine for now but I can't fucking tolerate when you get hurt. Now as your alliance, I advice you to take this offer for both yours and your pack's sake."

It took a second for me to understand him. He didn't use a voice as my mate but instead, he use a normal voice, like an Alpha helping another Alpha in need. He's willing to put aside his mate role and act as my ally for my own sake. Yet we're still leaning against each other, with no space between us and he's acting like a concern alliance. I don't know why I found this funny. Ian smiled handsomely when he sensed my sudden change of mood and maybe saw the humor in my eyes. "What's so funny?" he asks softly and play with a strand of my black hair. 

'I'm sorry.' I chuck and blushed. 'It just... you're gonna switch role between being a mate and ally?'

He shrug. "Maybe. I don't know. I guess I'll be anything that suits you."

He needs you, Selyen. Diane whispers. He is secretly needed you, us as his mate and we need them as well.

I hesitate for a second weighing his offer. 'What about your pack? Will they agree to help me?'

"They will be honor to help the daughter of the great Alpha Marcus. We own him and I bet they willing to agree as long as they can have their hands on the rogues."

Talk about rogues, I remember the two sisters that Ian have captured and prison a couple days ago. 'The rogue,' I said slowly. 'Can you give them a choice?'

Ian flinched. "They're with Ivan, Selyen." he said, sensing my point. 

'Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe they were forced or didn't have a choice but to run like the sisters, like me; a refugee.' I said and squeeze his broad shoulders. I can see the gear running and spinning in his head, weighing his option. 'We can't let vengeance cloud everything that we see, Ian.'

Ian flinched and smile. "You sound like your mother. She always remind me to be a wise alpha." He chucks.  "Alright. Deal but we're chasing down those who chose to run."