Chapter 15: Smoke

The song to the right is definitely the most relatable song to the series yet. Not really sure how I feel about this chapter. :/ Regardless, I hope you all enjoy & I love you all!! :)))

********************************************* 

Once again, I woke up gasping for air and clutching at the blankets around me. Death was no longer next to me, but where he once lay was still indented in the mattress, and the extreme heat of his body had left the surface of the sheets entirely as if he wasn't even there. I started to rub at the arm that his heavy head had been laying on, which was still tingling with lack of blood circulation as if I kept my arm in that awkward position as I slept, and tried to control my chaotic thoughts and emotions.

            " Anna spread her pretty pale legs for me before I even agreed to help her. And what did I get after I killed the whore for you? Not even a thank-you. I cleaned up whatever mess of your life you were making, and not even a damn thank-you."

            Covering my face with my hands momentarily, I held back my sobs by biting down on my lip. Now I was feeling Death's pain more than ever, as if we shared the same experience. His sadness. His betrayal. His hatred for his father. It was all flowing inside of me like a pool of toxic waste, making me feel an uncontrollable amount of sadness, betrayal, and hatred towards everything and everyone.

            Now it was all falling into place for me, why Death wouldn't let me in. Maybe he didn't even know where to begin. I had already known he was broken beyond repair, now I had discovered what had really happened between him and Annona. He had loved a woman that had cheated on him to get rid of her baby. She was afraid of him. Disgusted, probably. How could Annona have done something so cruel to Death, especially  The tears never seemed to end. I was in denial, seeking other explanations as to why I had those peculiar dreams. Maybe they weren't real after all.

            Seeing Death cry -- even when it was only a moment -- had tore my heart into a million pieces. I was so upset, that I no longer felt comfortable in a soft, cozy bed while Death virtually relived his past because of me once again. I slid out of the bed into the freezing air and pressed my bare feet against the frigid hardwood floor, staring to carefully and quietly make my way to the only door that was slightly cracked in the entire room.

            Opening it, I peered out into a dark, endless hallway, and felt around the walls for a light switch. Anything? Nothing. Great. If there was one thing I learned about being alone with Death, it was not to let him trap you in an endless, pitch black hallway with no escape. Honing in on my senses, I could hear the small sound of some sort of fan vibrating at the end of the hallway, and faint voices coming from a television. I started to slowly walk down the pitch black hallway, feeling around the walls, and trying to remind myself over and over again that it was only Death and I in the house, that there was no reason to let my heart pound so erratically in my chest.

            Until I heard her voice.

            "I'm so glad you called me when you did, baby."

            As soon as I picked up that voice in the remoteness of the apartment, my eyes went wide and my pace quickened. I knew that voice. Reaching the end of the hallway, I peered out into a massive, stainless steel kitchen. The lights were dimmed along the ceiling, so I carefully made my way past it, peering past another archway into a dining room with a stretched out glass table.

            I could still hear the woman whispering with her seductive undertones, taunting me. Where was she? I padded further into the dining room, discovering yet another archway into a new world where the walls were a deep wine and black leather couches curved along every cover of the room. There was brick fire place. A television that was ten times my size. And--