Chapter two

Dade’s point of view

            They all stared at me blankly—with the exception of Bellie, who was still crouched down next to Ashlinn, sobbing. She held a small piece of paper in her hand. I tried to strain my eyes to read it, but they were clouded with tears.

“What’s that?” I tried to sound calm—which failed.

“It doesn’t matter, Dade!” Violet screeched. I wasn’t sure if she was annoyed or just scared—probably both. “Answer the damn question.” She said quieter but still powerfully.

            We all decided to bury the body somewhere outside of the house. They thought it would be better to ask me, because I was the only guy.

Reluctantly, I nodded my head yes. I bit my lip so strongly I thought the skin was going to break open. I shakily reached out my arms and held Ashlinn’s hands in mine softly. The cold feel her fingers gave off sent shock running through my shivering body. My stomach bubbled with acid, and I dropped her hands.

“I can’t.” I knew I had no color in my face.

“Why not?” Violet asked; she was clearly agitated.

“If you think it’s so easy, why can’t you do it?” I retorted.

“I’m not touching it!”

“She’s not an it.” Rylie growled through her teeth; tears visible in her hazel eyes.

            Since Rylie joined out little ‘group’, she and Ashlinn had gotten very close. I felt horrible, but I didn’t know which made me feel worse: the fact that Ashlinn was gone forever, or that Rylie was left to suffer?

“Dade,” Rylie turned to me, speaking in a soft voice. “Why…can’t we just call the cops and, and have a funeral?” She choked out loudly in between sobs. “She deserves a nice burial!” Her face was soon pressed against my chest, soaking it with tears. “She doesn’t deserve to be dead.” She sighed out. Soon she pulled away, regaining her composure. “I’ll burry her with you.”

“Are you sure?” I asked with concern clear in my hoarse voice.

“Yes.” She bent down and picked Ashlinn up in a bridal-style carry.

            When the body shifted, some blood sloshed out of the open wounds. Rylie began to gag violently. I took Ashlinn from her arms, and some of her blood dribbled onto my body. I tried not to pay attention to it, but the warm liquid coated my skin. Compared to the rest of my body, the warmth was amazing.

I shook the nasty thoughts out of my head. That was so wrong of me to think—although it was true.

            The cold outside air hit me like a bullet when the heavy door opened before me. I took a slow step out into the brisk fall air. My white breath clouds fogged my vision temporarily. I carried Ashlinn out to the side of the house. I laid her body down carefully, and I began to search for a shovel. I felt a cold metal surface press lightly against my arm.

“Here.” Rylie spoke in a monotone voice.

            I turned around to find Rylie holding a shovel in her hands. I took it from her softly and my eyes searched her face. It was paler than usual. Her eyes were tinted pink and they were extremely puffy.

            I nodded at her softly; she bent down next to Ashlinn and held her hand softly. I began to dig a random hole in the ground. I wasn’t sure how wide or deep to make it. I did a rough estimate of everything and began to dig.

“Dade?” Rylie called my name hesitantly as I was halfway through digging.

“Yes?” I looked up at her.

“I feel a little sick. Uh, I’m going to go check on the rest of them, okay?” She played with her fingers—avoiding looking at me.

“Yeah, okay. Take as much time as you need.” I didn’t want to add any stress to her fragile mind.

            A few hours passed and I was damp in sweat. My head just barely made it to the top of the hole. Through the darkness I saw the outline of both bodies body. I crawled out of the hole—exhausted. Rylie backed away from Ashlinn as I lifted her up.

“I’m not helping.” She said as soon as I started to make my way towards the hole.

“Alright,” I hadn’t expected her to help anyway.

            I cringed when her body made a loud thud as it hit the bottom of the hole. I bit my lip again, and this time blood spilled out slowly.

I picked up the shovel once more and started to dump the dirt back in. It sprinkled her body lightly and soon consumed it all. I filled the hole up completely.

I felt sick to my stomach.

“Sorry…” I heard the timid voice of Rylie behind me.

“It’s alright, baby.” I kissed the top of her head softly. “Let’s go back to the house, alright?”

She nodded in response, and I interlocked our fingers.

When we walked back into the house, everyone was sitting on the blanket where everything started. All their faces were flushed from color.

Something happened while I was gone.

(A.N.-I just really want to quickly say that we are so thankful for all of you! We're not that high on 'What's hot' but we're still there, so thank you<3 We love you all!

~Cassi)