AND i have other plans

SHAWN

24th of March, 2027

Today is Kar's fourth birthday.

And that's what she'll remind everyone as they step through our streamer covered front door and into the house - just to make sure they know.

"Grand-pa!" Peter yells, his little legs flying down the driveway as he spots my dad, a huge present in his arms. Kar follows behind him, and I turn to Hannah who smiles and links her hand with mine as we welcome more guests.

"Hey buddy!" My dad laughs as Peter launches himself into his arms, his cheeks rosy and stretched.

"Today is Kar's fourth birthday!" Karen says triumphantly, pushing her hair from her face as she joins the hug.

"It most certainly is! Look how big you've grown!" He bends down to pick up the present again, and hands it to me before chasing Peter around the front garden, peppered with melted snow. I squeeze Hannah's hand, because it's almost been a full year since she lost her dad.

"Where were you yesterday?" She asks, turning to me.

I let go of her hand. "Yesterday?"

"Yeah," She says, "I have some really good news, and I tried to find you but you were out. I remember you saying you'd be at the studio, but I thought you'd be back." She takes a hold of my hand again, and a pang of guilt stabs my chest.

"Oh," I say, trying not to sound suspicious, "I was helping with the background lighting."

Hannah smiles, "For another tour? That's exciting!" She kisses my jaw, and I wonder why I'm digging myself this hole. I wasn't checking lighting, I was in a dimly lit office in Scarborough trying to save my career.

"Yes," I say quickly, "So what's this good news of yours?"

She takes my other hand, and our eyes meet as she tries to contain a grin. "Remember when I took Parachutes to the publishers..."

I nod, squeezing her hands.

"They loved it," She breaths, shaking her head in disbelief, "they had an editor go through it, and said it could be on the shelves in the next two months!"

I hug her, tight, because I'm speechless and because her dream is coming true. She's wanted this for as long as I can remember, and she deserves it more than anyone.

SHAWN

30th of April, 2027

The head editor, Farrah, tries to tell me it's okay, but neither she nor I know where to go from here. She's calm when she talks, and attempts to explain to me that she's sorry. It's not her fault. It's mine.

The auto-biography was a test, and I inevitably failed it. A test to see if the power of words could save my job. And perhaps they could have, but I'm stubborn and the things Andrew wanted me to write weren't who I was. I don't want to fake myself out of this.

I was told to write about music. So I did, and I was actually proud of the words that came from it. But I also wrote about Magcon, because it's where the story begins. I wrote about mum and how music helped me breathe when all I could hear was her voice. I wrote about Hannah and the way she's influenced so many of the lyrics that pour from my soul.

And Farrah warned me. She'd stop me halfway through a sentence and remind me that I was here to write tips for others, to share advice and to help avoid mistakes. I wasn't here to write a story.

"Why?" I'd asked, "To stop them from making the same mistakes that I've made?" A sarcastic laugh escaped my lips, "Farrah, if I write what they want me to, I'll only be adding to the mistakes."