Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen: Evan

It was never like this before, with her or any other girl I've been with.

When I first met her it was so easy to just tell her how much I fucking hated her, her actions, and the way she talks to me. She gave me a reason to be mad at her without feeling guilty about it.

Maybe the reason why it wasn't like this before I met her is that no one really gave me any sort of consequences for my actions, but as the days flew by and the more she started fighting back at me, the more it seemed difficult to just say things and get away with it.

Or to act in a way that always seemed normal to me back then and to not feel anxious about the repercussions that'll follow, because now, it's so hard not to do a double-take, to not stop for a second, think about what I did, and go "Was it really that wrong?"

When she came into my life, I've only seen her as this girl who'll just get on my nerves. She's loud, obnoxious, and argumentative.

She always finds something about me to pick apart and judge and though it has annoyed the hell out of me, these days it's hard not to acknowledge it.

That's why as she stands here a few feet away from me, looking the most intimidating I've seen her, I can't help but feel like I've committed a felony that doesn't deserve a release.

"I didn't think you were gonna let me in," I told her, sheepish.

She raised an eyebrow at that, her face blank "I just thought maybe after finalizing our negotiation to not talk, you'd only come to me when it's actually needed."

She takes a step forward and doesn't break eye contact, not even once "So this better be important, because I don't want you to waste my time, Evan."

I couldn't help but wince at how unyielding she sounded, and for the first time since I came here, did I start to regret my decision, as she could only give me a look of impatience.

"I'm waiting?"

"Can you please relax for a second?" I said, trying to sound playful because it was always my default, but it's hard to do that when she's anything but communicative at the moment.

"You're making this sound like an interrogation." I joked.

Still, to no avail, not having it "Your visit is as unexpected and unwanted as you are."

"Is this your way of getting rid of me? Because you think the more we spend time with each other the more we won't be able to part away? Is that it?" and just like that, something flickers in her eyes as she looks away. Jackpot.

"What do you want, Evan?" she asked, her voice much softer and less resistant this time than it was a while ago, meaning I'm able to talk to her now without her trying to put up a front.

"I wanted to talk." I started, careful "I can't stand this anymore."

She looked at me, perplexed. "What does that mean?"

I let out a breath, running a hand through my hair as I clenched my jaw "This, Carter. I can't stand the silence anymore-"

She lifts up a hand, silencing me "No, stop. You know this isn't good."

"What is?" I pressed on, frustrated. "Us trying to work things out and not acting like a bunch of arch-nemesis even though we don't actually hate each other?"

"You know that isn't the point. You're the one forcing this on me."

"Maybe I am. But that's because I know that this habit of us constantly staying away from each other is pointless, because I know we were getting along just well before that whole situation with Levi got in the way, and you scrambled for reasons to try and hate me again."